Nightforce SHV and alternatives

The original post asked about the SHV in 3-10x42. I picked one of these up last week and took a look through it at the range on my test fixture. The scaling of the MOAR reticle looked good and the turret accuracy looked good. The yardage marking on the parallax knob was off but I think that's to be expected. The clarity looked good at the 10x magnification as well as the 3x. There was no tunneling at the low power. I'll post a picture of what the reticle looks like. The view is with 10x magnification setting.

Overall I'm pleased with this for my hunting rifle. Now to get it mounted up and try it out.

Thanks for the quick review and recommendation Shtr! The more I read about it, the more I like it. For the money, I think its hard to beat and I've always wanted to own a NF, they have just been out of my practical price range until now. I'm excited about the idea of using the MOAR reticle for hunting too, as I only have experience with duplex variations for hunting and a few Mil-Dot on a couple of my ARs for bench shooting.

What rife will you be mounting this on (if you dont mind me asking)? Thanks again for the post!

Without going back and reading all of the posts I assume we are talking about the SHV that is first focal frame with exposed turrets?

We are discussing the NF SHV 3-10x42mm scope (this particular scope has capped .25 MOA adjustments and I believe it is Second Focal Plane, but I could be mistaken) and any alternatives in varying price ranges under $1k that may be a suitable hunting rifle scope out to 400yds.

We are discussing the NF SHV 3-10x42mm scope (this particular scope has capped .25 MOA adjustments and I believe it is Second Focal Plane, but I could be mistaken) and any alternatives in varying price ranges under $1k that may be a suitable hunting rifle scope out to 400yds.

You are correct! The NF SHV 4-14x50 F1 is the FFP.

Thanks for the quick review and recommendation Shtr! The more I read about it, the more I like it. For the money, I think its hard to beat and I've always wanted to own a NF, they have just been out of my practical price range until now. I'm excited about the idea of using the MOAR reticle for hunting too, as I only have experience with duplex variations for hunting and a few Mil-Dot on a couple of my ARs for bench shooting.

What rife will you be mounting this on (if you dont mind me asking)? Thanks again for the post!

I'm putting it on a 300 Win Mag that started out life as a 7mm mag in the '60s. I had the action trued up and put a 30 cal barrel on it a couple years ago. The scope I had on it was a Leupold VX-II in 3-9x with the LR Duplex reticle. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to dial elevation, and hold off for wind, for the longer shots - and to correct parallax error. I also wanted to keep the weight down. It looks like I'll be adding 8 oz by switching optics - I'm having to change out the base and rings too.

I have Burris XTR-II on my 22-250 and basically like it. The only thing I wish was better on that scope is the clarity on high magnification, ( 20x ). It gets kinda cloudy on the high end.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.