Nightforce SHV 4-14X56 Riflescope Review

ADMIN

Administrator
The new Nightforce Optics Shooter Hunter Varminter (SHV) riflescope is directly aimed at the shooting, hunting, and varminting market areas as indicated by the name. This optic is loaded with premium features, comes with the famous Nightforce durability as well as warranty, but can be had for less than $1,000.00 for the non-illuminated model. Nightforce is obviously looking to get their products into the hands of shooters that don't need the price tag associated with their more expensive lines of optics but who desire all of the benefits associated with the Nightforce name. Read More...
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/nightforce-shv-4-14x56-riflescope-review.791/
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Nightforce SHV 4-14X56 Riflescope Review, By Nicholas Gebhardt. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got me there, I didn't weigh the SHV. It is light in weight though, but I can't offer up an exact figure at this point. Since I haven't shipped the scope back, I'll just have to unpack it really quick and get you a number. Thanks for asking!

Geb

Edited to add: Len beat me to the punch!

You should try and take a picture of what it looks like when your hand blocks the view of the turret. I've never had this problem that I'm aware of but I would love to see what it looks like when you noticed the problem.

Also, I enjoyed the review. You cranked that out in a hurry!

also what's the overall length too
and thanks, I think this info might be helpful to more than me too
just good info
and yes I agree I liked the review too !

I was pretty exhausted last night after getting home and figured I had missed some of the specs on the scope somehow, but the length, weight, reticles, click values, etc. are all listed in the article.

Regarding what the elevation turret looks like in size while making an adjustment, here is a picture. I didn't cover the turret as though I was turning it to a different setting, but you get an idea of the size.

One thing to keep in mind is that the turrets were kept small for a reason, so you didn't have excessively large turrets sticking out on a hunting style rifle. The protective caps keep them covered well and are fairly small in comparison to other brands that have finger adjustable turrets. There was a lot of thought that went into this design. These turrets work very well and the scope tracks correctly.

I'm guessing, since you didn't mention it, that the SHV doesn't have a Zero Stop elevation knob. That would have been a nice feature.

I do like the way the adjustment knobs are held on with the single silver screw. Nikon has been doing it for years and it works well. I, too, am no fan of the tiny set screws around the knobs.

Great review of a great looking scope. Looking forward to getting one in my hands to try.
Martin

I am scope dumb so please excuse my ignorance but would this be a suitable rifle scope for 1000 yards on a 308 Win or possibly a 7 rem mag? I'm trying to get into the nightforce world and this scope is now a viable option. Great article.

I think this scope would work out well if you are looking to step up to Nightforce quality but haven't been able to afford their other offerings. This scope has the optical qualities to ID targets at long range and the adjustments will get the corrections in. It'll also be suitable for a wide range of other applications if you need it to. You can order an SHV through the longrangehunting.com web store.

Geb

I liked the article, and can't wait to see it at the local stores so I can actually look through the scope. Thanks again for the review.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.