Nightforce SHV 3-10X42mm Review

ADMIN

Administrator
I caught movement in the sage as I traveled through the outbacks of Oregon. Stopping the truck, I exited with my .243AI wearing the new Nightforce 3-10X42mm SHV. Even as the rifle came to my shoulder searching for the fleeing coyote, I was shocked at the clarity and "flatness" of the field of view (FOV) I witnessed in the scope. The coyote, as coyotes often do, disappeared in the only crease in the otherwise flat sagebrush basin in front of me. No shot opportunity this time but I was left impressed with the sight picture. Until you experience a "flat" sight picture, it is hard to describe. It is a characteristic of good glass that you recognize when you see it. Was it because the morning sun behind me so lighted the Great Basin landscape? Maybe. But, it left little doubt that I had a real Nightforce scope on the rifle. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Nightforce SHV 3-10X42mm Review, By Tim Titus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Tim,
I'm shooting a custom 300wm that originally used a Zeiss conquest 4.5x14 scope. The scope starting moving poi. I sent it back and they sent a new HD5 3x15 with a zero stop. The scope seemed nice but less than 18 rounds I sent it back because the point of impact was moving 3 MOA. I pulled the scope and installed a vx3 6.5x20 and hit a 16" target 4of5, shots @ 1135 yards. The rifle will shoot but I've lost confidence in the Zeiss. Will the 3x10 SHV hold zero on this 300 wm and will I be able to shoot targets out to 1000 yards. I hunt elk annually and I killed a bull at 565 yards a couple of years ago so I would like a lighter scope. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Tim,
I'm shooting a custom 300wm that originally used a Zeiss conquest 4.5x14 scope. The scope starting moving poi. I sent it back and they sent a new HD5 3x15 with a zero stop. The scope seemed nice but less than 18 rounds I sent it back because the point of impact was moving 3 MOA. I pulled the scope and installed a vx3 6.5x20 and hit a 16" target 4of5, shots @ 1135 yards. The rifle will shoot but I've lost confidence in the Zeiss. Will the 3x10 SHV hold zero on this 300 wm and will I be able to shoot targets out to 1000 yards. I hunt elk annually and I killed a bull at 565 yards a couple of years ago so I would like a lighter scope. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Well have a good look at the 3.1 to 3.5 inches of eye relief in the NF SHV line of scopes before you buy one. For any rifle from a lightweight 30/06 up to what you are shooting especially if in mountain country, a fast uphill shot could cause you problems re a big kiss by the scope eyepiece.

I know a lot of hunters that have such short eye relief scopes and they make fun of this statement, however I doubt if many of them have really been out after big game and shot a lot of them either. I prefer a good Nightforce NXS stop with 4inches of eye relief for my magnum rifles, and because I at times might move a scope around to other rifles I would never buy one which failed this spec. Other folk can do what they chose.

I appreciate the heads up on the eye relief. I currently am shooting a Zeiss HD5 3.5X15 with an eye relief of about 4 inches and love that. It is now at the doctors getting worked on as the POI has been shifting. I'm looking at a Nightforce now as i'm not certain I can trust the scope.

Does anyone know if the slightly mushy turrets have been fixed? I have one of these earmarked for a stalking and medium/long range setup.
The idea is to have a nice setup to carry around, I can use the holdover for out to 650m or so a d be able to dial it up if I want/need to stretch things out too 850m or so.
Makes this scope seem ideal, for that roll as long as the turrets have solid repeatable adjustments that is.

I appreciate the heads up on the eye relief. I currently am shooting a Zeiss HD5 3.5X15 with an eye relief of about 4 inches and love that. It is now at the doctors getting worked on as the POI has been shifting. I'm looking at a Nightforce now as i'm not certain I can trust the scope.

I purchased a US optics ER-25 for my 338 lapua clearest optics ive ever looked thru and i've wasted numerous sums of money on others ,, best i've ever seen ,,i just ordered another for my 30-378 (LR-17 ).. swapping all my other optics. NF,Zeiss, and SW

Hello Gentleman; Just wanted to insert that I too purchased a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 for my 300-WSM. First one was bad right out of the box. Out of focus badly and side focus didn't work at all. Returned it. Received the second scope held it up and began to adjust the side focus, it would move one direction but not the other. Second unit returned. Received third scope, side focus seems to be working but had to move the windage turret all most to the end of its travel, but I did make it work. I had taken a Zeiss scope off this same rifle to put this new one on, setup worked perfectly before. I too have used Zeiss scopes previously with good results. I like the Rapid-Z reticles. But the HD-5 has made me gun shy. 3 scopes and none of them really right.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.