Nightforce Scopes vs Leupold

Digger49r

I'm looking for glass for a longrange rifle.At this point I'm up in the air between the Nighforce NXS 5.5 x 22 with either the RR or the R2 reticle and the Leupold VXIII 6.5 x 20 X 50mm with the M1 knobs. I'm leaning more to the Nightforce and now a shooter that I have a lot of respect for tells me that the ones he tried didn't return to zero very well and he found the Leupolds clearer. I know an other fella that swears it's the other way around. Has anyone else had any problems with the the Nightforce line? Thanks for the help
Digger49r

I have a nightforce 5.5x22 and a Leupold 6.5 x 20 40mm. I find the Leupold more comfortable to look through.I guess the Leupold is clearer and brighter.
I like the reticle on the nightforce,and the wider FOV,and the plush click adjustments,and the fact it is 5.5 x 22. If I could get a Leupold with a reticle I really liked I would probably get rid of the nightforce.

Sad to say I think the same info you got from your two friends will be the same here,I have 5 NightForce scopes and they all are bright and clear and as far as the clicks go they all return to the same spot and have never given me a problem. I have the NPRR1 and it is allways right on the money as far as the range finder goes too.

I work out outside all winter in temps from twenty above to 50 below and I have never been sorry that I own a Night Forice IMO you could not go wrong with a Night Force >>><<< Coyote Slayer

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 is 15.2" and 32 oz. Leupold 6.5-20x50 is 14.4" and 20 oz. So there are clear engineering design trade-offs. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.
tongue.gif

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: thequickad ]

I bought a pair of NXS 8-32's this year, 1 RR and 1 R2 as well as a leupold LR M1 8.5-25x50. I like the nightforce scopes better. They have all been focused to my eyes,..but I would rather look through the nightforce for extended periods. And,...as has been stated,..the weigth difference says something to me about it's construction as well.

I have 4 LR Leupolds(a 4.5-14, 2-6.5-20's and a 8.5-25) and two NXS's and I agree that it is not a fair comparison. The NF NXS's are in the class with the less expensive USO scopes and the Leupolds, while great scopes, are not in the same class as the NXS line. Just my $.02

[ 07-10-2003: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

If you're seriously considering the NF, I'd get it, and with the R2 reticle too. It's somewhat more spendy, but in my opinion, well worth it. Good luck, I love mine.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.