Nightforce/ ruger mod 77

microfish8

Has anyone experienced an issue using a nightforce on a ruger with ruger's mounts? I recently mounted one and i can't get it to group.

You really need to provide more information than that. Was the rifle grouping OK before the Nightforce? What makes you think the problem is scope related? What is your group size @ what distance? What do your groups look like? Round? Horizontal stringing? Vertical stringing? Double grouping?

The more complete the description of your problem, the better.

Had a leupold x-2 on it before. grouped awesome! 1" @ 100 yrds. Currently is is spraying. 100 yrd groups cover 14". Nightforce tells me the scope is too heavy for the ruger mounts. They want me to put a rail on and use their rings. Evidently there has been an issue in the past between the 2. I live about 5 minutes from Nightforce. My wife works there. guess i will put it on something else THANX!

am using high in the front and ultra high in the rear, objective clears the barrel by 3/8" the dovetail bolt is torqued to 65 in.lbs, the ring screws are torqued to 30 in lbs. took the scope back to nightforce. they went thru it; scope is fine.....

Did you change loads or go to a real long bullet?
I've used 40-50 different sets of Ruger rings and have always thot of them as about the strongest ring/ mount system available. What caliber rifle is it on?

It is a 7mm rem mag. The night forcce is an nxs 3.5 - 15 x 50 with the moar. currently shooting 65 gr rl-22 with cci 250 primer and 160 gr speer btsp. had been running 63 gr imr 4831 with the same bullet and primer. the rifle only has about 300 rounds thru it. I don't want to grind off the dovetails and pua rail on it. My wife does the shipping at nightforce. the scope was gift last summer and the rifle she gave to me a number of yrs ago. When I had the leupold on it actually grouped quite well, 1" at a hundred. Was starting to think the barrel was fouled, cleaned the crap out of it. still scatters holes. am using a concrete bench with a lead sled. can't get any steadier. guess i shouldn't have broke up a winning pair.

I sure can't come up with anything else. Man, ????? You can get Ruger to Weaver/Pikitinny adapters. They bolt right onto the dovetails. Brownells used to sell them . Maybe they still do? ?

Where did u get the 30mm rings?

Is the scope moving in the rings? Take a magic marker and mark the scope and ring where they touch on both sides and see if recoil is moving the scope. If it is, remove the scope and put a piece of masking tape inside the rings then remount and retorque. Also, check and see if your muzzle has been dinged. Just in case. Ruger rings are plenty strong, but a heavy scope like the Nightforce can move in them under recoil.

Oops. forgot something. You said you were using one high mount and one extra-high mount. You may be torqueing the scope. Unless the mounts are designed to compensate for the difference between them, you might want to try using only the extra high mounts or only the high mounts.

I reread your post and sent a reply about your rings. I guess it didn't post so here it is again. Try going with either both rings ultra high or both rings high. Sounds to me like you're torqueing the scope by using two rings that are not the same height. Ruger rings are made to be in alignment and unless you have rings that are designed to be true with that downward cant, the scope is probably getting torqued.

Ruger sent me the rings. Have a local gunsmith that has made some very impressive long range shooter. Will let you know what he comes up with.

Thanx for the input!

It is a 7mm rem mag. The night forcce is an nxs 3.5 - 15 x 50 with the moar. currently shooting 65 gr rl-22 with cci 250 primer and 160 gr speer btsp. had been running 63 gr imr 4831 with the same bullet and primer. the rifle only has about 300 rounds thru it. I don't want to grind off the dovetails and pua rail on it. My wife does the shipping at nightforce. the scope was gift last summer and the rifle she gave to me a number of yrs ago. When I had the leupold on it actually grouped quite well, 1" at a hundred. Was starting to think the barrel was fouled, cleaned the crap out of it. still scatters holes. am using a concrete bench with a lead sled. can't get any steadier. guess i shouldn't have broke up a winning pair.

I have an M77 Ruger 22-250. I have the 12x42x56 Nightforce. I dont remember the brand of rings, they are Super High rings. They were the only kind available at the time in the 30 mm size. I have never had an accuracy problem with this set up. Nightforce was a sponsor of mine while I rodeod, and I took the scope off and on of my rifle dozens of times. I dont have to readjust anytime I put it back on. Its a very accurate set up. I would look into a high quality set of rings. I paid around $130.oo for my rings 15 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts