Nightforce Reticles/MOA vs. Mil

fredmb

Ok, I know this has been discussed before, but I'm really trying to hone in on buying the right scope. After much research I want to go with Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 but I'm still unsure of what reticle and whether to go with MOA or Mil. I've also looked at the Velocity 1000 reticle and don't really understand how they work when elevation and barometric pressure will constantly change. I'm new to the high end scope world as you can tell with these simplistic questions, so any advice would be appreciated.

Might help if I tell you what I'm using and what I will be using it for. I'm shooting with a Weatherby 300 Wby mag. I'm going to be using this for about 90% hunting... elk, deer, antelope and whatever other tags I can get my hands on. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Moa/mil is personal preference. Just different measures of angle. .1 mil scopes will move more per click than 1/4 moa clicks if that makes any difference for you 0.36 inches versus roughly 0.26 inches at 100 yards. As for the velocity retical I am not sure. I prefer moa based retical or dialing.

I am an 1/4 MOA guy, I simply think in inches and know 4 x 25 is 100. To be brutally honest the Mil thing makes my head spin. I just don't see it. I was raised here in the US and I am old school I guess.

One thing to consider is, there is a poll on this LRH site.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/what-system-moa-mil-do-you-use-85233/

MOA / MIL with 750 votes it is in favor of MOA by 75% vs 25% So, if you like this site and the kind of hunting and shooting done on here that should answer your question.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

It matters not which system you use but which one you fully understand. Most of us myself included are more familiar with moa but mil works just as well if understood. I can't figure out how guys rely on a BDC system like the velocity reticle beyond 600 yds but I've never used it so I can't say.

they are both simple, just make sure you pick a reticle that matches your turrets. this way when you go elr, you're still thinking in moa/mils once you run her out of adjustment.

my preference is moa, only because it's a finer value...dope can be ran in moa, mil, iphy, inches, centimeters, and I spose I missed some. long as you forget inches, and think in your turret adjustment values it becomes tarded simple.

Tom

The velocity reticles are a great idea in theory, if used correctly with the proper load. Have you been on NF's velocity calculator page? If not you need to use it a bit as it will help you understand.

You can put in all of the load and atmospheric info and it will tell you where your reticle subtentions are going to put you. Atmospheric conditions have little to no effect on POI out to 5-600 yards on most loads so in my mind that is the max distance that the velocity reticle is fully functional. I have played with the calculator though quite a bit and there are many loads where the velocity 1000 is the only reticle that will work for a flat shooting load. I assume your situation would be the same. So if you go that route it isn't a horrible thing to get the 1000 reticle, so you can get the correct subtentions for your load, then only use it for holdover out to 5-600 yards. You can then dial in and use the main crosshairs for any farther shooting.

Unless I am really sure that the scope is going to stay on 1 gun with 1 load I would personally be more comfortable with a fixed stadia reticle like the NPR1, MOAR, or MLR2, etc. Then you can have your drops listed in MOA or MIL (depending on what you choose to go with) and then find the corresponding stadia line to hold for and fire in a very similar way that the velocity reticle allows you to do. But with this system you can change loads or guns and still be sure to have a usable reticle.

With the way we hunt and shoot today the math involved in MOA or MIL is almost not worth talking about for most shooters anymore. Try to make your decision based on them both being angular measurements and not linear measurements which gets most all the math part out of the equation. This is especially true if you are going to buy a fixed stadia reticle as you can do all of your measuring with the reticle so the math is seldom needed. I personally would be more likely to make my choice based on reticle design, and how far I am going to be shooting than what math I find easier to do. That is just me though. I personally like the 1/2 MIL reticles as I feel they give a good balance of useability without excess clutter. Lots of options to choose from nowadays!

Good Luck in finding the perfect setup that works for YOU. Everyone has an opinion on MIL vs MOA, just make sure you learn as much as you can then make a decision that works for YOUR style of shooting.

Scot E.

Wow. Some super valid points in there. Exactly what I needed. Thanks for the input fellas.

I have many tactical scopes, several Nightforce. I perfer the MOA! Works great for hunting and is super simple, the way most of us first learned to count.

Have you considered their CH1 crosshair?
Laser range finder/binocs?

If getting an NXS, you can dial in elevation based on a carried click card & hold off in inches for wind.
No math in the field at all.
You can print or write out a click card based on your ballistics and the day's predicted conditions. Carry in your pocket. Spot/laser range, look it up on your card, dial in your elevation, setup for the shot minding only wind & level.

It can get more defined, slope, spindrift, and coriolis, but hell you're talkin Hail Mary with reticle ranging and hold-offs.

Mil has it's place and is probably as-easy to use as MOA (to guys raised on the metric system and familiar with it)

...my advice to you is to pick ONE of the two systems and stick to it. Wrap your head around "that" one system and use it in every scope and rifle you shoot.. don't mix & mingle mil and moa. Pick the one that you can most relate to mathematically without confusing yourself.

I shoot both, but MUCH SOONER prefer the MOA system.. just plain simpler IMO

I have always been an MOA guy. Easy math with .25 MOA. That being said I hate 1/8 MOA reticles. But its directly related to what suits you and what your comfortable with. They both work great. If not, NF wouldn't have them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.