Nightforce Questions

Blacktail2

I am planing on getting a new Nightforce for hunting,and target shooting,mainly hunting.I'm thinking about the 5.5-22-50 or the 5.5-22-56 with the NPR-1 reticle.What are the advanages and disadvanages between the 50-56mm.What would you buy.

It's your own personal preference brother. Personally I like the 3.5x15x50. In the summer time mirage is not as bad on 15x as it is 22x, and I can still use my verticle moa bars on 15x where as if you turn the 22x down to compensate you have to go to 11x on the 22 power scope and then your 2moa bars are now 4moa. Besides 15x is plenty of magnification to shoot out to a mile and I think Kirby made a poke past 2k yards with a 15x. Like I said, it's all personal preference.

Tim

I just took delivery today of my first Nightforce scope , i got the 3.5-15x50 with the NP-R2 ret . I cant comment on the 56mm scopes but this one i have is a thing of beauty . On a hunting rig i probably wouldn't want to go for the bigger scope the 50mm is already a pretty bulky unit .

Congrats on the scope, I recieved my 15x50 R1 from Bill last week and I'm so excited to put the thing on my Rum, soon to be the Edge I can hardly stand it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim

The 56 mm will gather more light than the 50mm. This will improve the scope's usefulness at dawn and dusk. This is of importance as you get past 40 years of age and your night vision rods begin taking early retirement and don't work much any more.

The down side is that it means you will need some type of adjustable/add-on cheekpiece for the stock.

I have a 5.5-22-56 with the NP-R1 sitting in a drawer and next to it is one of Shawn Carlocks adjustable cheekpieces.

NO! I have what I need. The gun this goes on is probably good only to about 1200-1300 yds and doesn't need more scope. The gun will have its new barrel and be ready in a few months.

Tiger Stripes, the 7AM wears a 8-32X 56mm Nightforce and is good for a long, long ways.

It is largly a personal preferance. Personaly I have owned 4 differant 56mm scopes and got absolutly sick of carrying around the extra weight and bulk. I scince have gone to 50mm nightforces and will not look back. That 6mm doesnt sound like much, but in reality, it is a very noticable differance when carrying it for miles in sheep and coues country.

Are you saying that the 31 oz 50mm vs the 32 oz 56mm is kicking your butt ?? That is in the 5.5-22

the 3.5-15x50 is 30 oz and the 3.5-15x56 is 31 oz....

I don't think it is the scope difference...

No offense meant at all, just showing how close in weight they are....

To all,
Thanks for all the respones so far, one more thing I would like to add, I am using a 4.5-14 Leupold currently.With this scope on 14x shooting targets at longrange(500yrds and beyond)it seems that my groups open up a little more than they should normally with the increase in range.I was hopeing that the extra magnification would help this.My new gun that is on the way has a HTG with a adjustable cheek piece,so hieght will not be a issue. Maybe I'll go with the 56mm.

[ QUOTE ]
No offense taken! It is more bulk than weight for me. Ever hunted dall sheep?? Trust me, you would understand!

[/ QUOTE ]

No Sir, I have not... but many elk hunts in the Thorofare and 2 Big Horn sheep hunts... Very rugged country reaching 11,800 feet is all. Nothing like what you have.

Like I said, no offense meant. I just love my 56 and it doesn't bother me here.... It sure might up there.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.