Nightforce Question

1eye

To all you Nightforce shooters, in the 5.5x 22 would you buy the 50mm or the 56 mm and why ?? I figure the 56mm will give me a little more light but is it worth the extra size !

Thanks

1eye,

Here's the decision process I went through.

If it were going on a carry rifle or one that could be reasonably carried I'd go with the 50.

However the Extra Long LRH rig that is on the way is too heavy to conveniently carried and a dedicated LRH prone rig for use from a hide.

Thus the 56mm was chosen. The large end bell shouldn't get in the way of anything......

FWIW

I have been using both for a few years now. I see no real difference other than the 56 takes a bit taller rings. As for looking through them , I really cant tell a difference. You really can't make a bad decission here. Just get which even you feel will serve YOU best. Either will be awesome.

Jeff

The 50mm is bright enough to get me well past legal shooting light in AZ (1/2 hour before sunrise or 1/2 hour after sunset. So any additional light brought in by the 56mm is lost on me.

The height distance will be modest at slightly under an 1/8" and I can't really see any real light difference so either way I think you'd be satisfied.

+1 on the50mm, dont see the need to go to 56mm
As you know, I have shot out at " the range", and have shot in low light out to 720yards with the 50mm when I could not see the target with the naked eye.

I went with the 50mm scopes and used them for years, but I now prefer the 56mm. The 56mm definately give you a bit more useable power and range at first and last light, if this is important to you..

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.