NightForce question....

Yall are confusing the hell out of me.......:D

It's not that hard mate. Just stick to one or the other Mil or MOA but dont mix them up, have the same on the turrets as the reticle.

If you are used to imperial measurements, stick with MOA. If you are better with decimal measuring systems go Millraidian.

Make the decision on MLR or Mil dot retilces and stuff like that later. Its a seperate question to answer.

We primarily uset the English Standard (Imperial) system for almost everything. Construction, travel, weights and measures. We measure with inches, feet and yards. We weigh with ounces and pounds. We buy quarts and gallons of milk, etc., and liters of wine. We drive in miles and miles/hour. We gas up with gallons. We do use both Standard and Metric tool sets which is a pain:rolleyes: The medical proffesion use mostly metric measures.

I will agree tha the metric systen is easier and more logical but I think we are too deep and stuck in the Standard system to change.

So it boils down to... we use inches and yards in shooting most of the time. there are some shooting ranges that are measured in meters, but for the most part we do 95% of our shooting referencing yards.

So just to make sure i follow this...if you are going to use mils..then you figure your target distance in meters...not yards.
If you are going to use yards then use MOA. Is this correct?

So just to make sure i follow this...if you are going to use mils..then you figure your target distance in meters...not yards.

Nope, not unless you want to. You can use yards or meters with either system. Just dont mix MOA turrets with mil reticles or vise versa.

But apparantly ( I did not know this before) the mill system fits with metric measurements which sounds good. However, that muight be a problem with me trying to trian my brain that way...

When I do the math on this, something is not adding up. I think .1 mil is probably 1cm @ 100 m, not 100 yds.

Last edited:
i think by now the poor guy who asked the original question has to be ready to cancel his scope order and sell his guns.
i dont own a nightforce scope so i wont get into a debate over reticle choice. or for that matter scope choice.
one thing i am qualified to discuss is history, including long range hunting history.

i started hunting in north central pa. right after ww2.
at that time scopes of any kind were very rare on hunting rifles.
by the mid to late fifties some hunters in that area were using standard factory rifles like model 70 win. equipt with target type scopes like unertle, for shooting at deer at what was considered long distances.
there were no other scopes available for this purpose at that time.
varmit hunters were doing the same thing, and it was mainly that group who carried it over to deer hunting.
im sure many of them didnt realize that scope blocks must be spaced at 7.2" to attain 1/4 " clicks on their scopes. that was not common knowledge at that time.
most devised a click chart by actually shooting at various distances.
by the mid 70s when i became involved, unertle scopes were still the primary scope.
for calibers like the 6.5x300 wby. or the 7x300 wby. 75 clicks of elevation got you on at 1000 yds. depending on conditions, and of coarse location.
1 and 1/2 revolutions of the dial on a unertle and that was it.
from there the spotter took charge based on hits he saw on the ground.
lots of deer were killed using that system. and folks im here to tell you lots of em still are in that part of the world.
you are making this far more complicated than it needs to be.
a certain amount of elevation need be added to the scope for a given distance, on a given day. call it minits, meters, clicks or whatever, just add it and shoot. if you miss, adjust however you like and shoot again right now.

as for scope, there are quite a few good scopes available today for this type of use.
your success will have little to do with which one you choose to own.
20 years ago most of them were unheard of.
yet lots of animals were taken without them, and lots of them still are.

1 mil is 1/1000 of what ever the distance is for example 1 mil at 1000 inches is 1 inch high, 1 mil at 1000 feet is 1 foot high. Because metric uses decimal counting 1 km is 1000m, 1m is 1000mm, it just fits. Where as the distance gets longer imperial measurments scale goes inch, feet, yards none of which are even dividable by 1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts