Nightforce NXS vs Nightforce Benchrest

meta

I'm considering the advantage of going with the more expensive Nightforce NXS in 12-42 versus the Nightforce Benchrest version also in 12-42 for about $400 less. Both look the same on paper as far as I can tell. Is it just that the NXS is built for more abuse in the field or are their more meaningful performance differences that would warrant the $400 difference? I plan on using the scope for long range target and prairie dog/woodchuck hunting.

I like the 1/8 click on the Benchrest model for my use. NSX is 1/4.

You need to make sure you have your vertical needs covered either way.

I like the turrets on the NXS, the larger 36mm ocular lense, and the side parallax adjustment, in adition to it being a tougher scope. The springs and internals were beefed up too, but do you need it all??

The .125 MOA clicks I can live without, rarely would I ever need them, the other stuff I prefer NOT to.
smile.gif

If you want the NXS, but at the BR price, shop around the classifieds on the boards and you'll probably find one for that.

I'm considering the advantage of going with the more expensive Nightforce NXS in 12-42 versus the Nightforce Benchrest version also in 12-42 for about $400 less. Both look the same on paper as far as I can tell. Is it just that the NXS is built for more abuse in the field or are their more meaningful performance differences that would warrant the $400 difference? I plan on using the scope for long range target and prairie dog/woodchuck hunting.

You are right. The NXS 8x32x56 will give you a better MOA up and down than the 12x42 unless you use a 20 MOA "G" force "pic" rail and 20 MOA Burris "High" Z rings with inserts. I have one mounted on my 300 Akley Improved(30 inch LILJA 1-10 right, gas checked true 308) Rem 700 Large bolt tweeked with a Sako extractor and Jewell trigger sitting on a "Mac" A-3 sniper stock free floating. 1/4 clicks get you there quicker if you have the time, if not use the MOA cross hairs at distance and you shall be successful. Need More? [email protected] I'll send you pictures.

I think the BR is noticeably better optically. Not that the NXS is bad, but the BR is outstanding in its price range. AO vs side focus?

But, I prefer turrets, side focus, 1/4, etc. It would be a tough choice for me too.

I too labored over the same decision. I eventually went with the 12-42x56 NSX for ruggedness as I was concerned w/recoil G-forces both + and -. Don't know what your shooting so it may or may not be a concern for you.

I have both on competition rifles used in 500 yd groundhog matches. Out to that distance, the BR model is better, because of the 1/8th adjustments. If your shots will be much further, get the NXS with 1/4 adjustments. Side focus is nice, but not necessary. I agree the BR model has slightly better glass.

Gene, what recticle do you have on the BR model and do you like it and why?

NXS - CH1 fine X hair reticule. Makes it easy (for me) to hold off slightly on long shots.

BR - NP2DD - I like the double dot and find it is easier to keep rifle and scope level. I never use the lighted reticule.

I went with the CH-3 for the same reason...help me keep the rifle and scope level.

I have both models BR and NXS and I use them for different purposes, the BR models are intended primarily for range situations. I like the 1/8 min clicks for those distances beyond 600 yds. But when it comes to hunting situations the NXS with side focus and a lot more moa adjustment coupled with 1/4 moa clicks and 10 moa per revolution lets you adjust to various yardages quicker. The BR models are used on a LOT of large caliber 1,000 yd Benchrest guns with out problems, I have a 12-42 BR on a 30STW (fairly heavy recoil) and have had NO problems what so ever.
Once you decide on the primary purpose of the rifle then decide which model will best suit your needs.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.