Nightforce NXS Concern

morgaj1

I am about to order a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 but the exposed, non-locking windage knob is giving me pause. I am concerned that I will inadvertently move it while hunting. I realize that I can check it before shooting, but there is a chance that it could be a rotation off. For those of you with an NXS, is this an issue?

I am about to order a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 but the exposed, non-locking windage knob is giving me pause. I am concerned that I will inadvertently move it while hunting. I realize that I can check it before shooting, but there is a chance that it could be a rotation off. For those of you with an NXS, is this an issue?
Nope. However, you can wrap clear tape around it so it won't move and still see the set marks/numbers.

It's been a long time since I've had an NXS, but I think they have a windage stop to prevent losing track of the setting. I want to say the windage knob would only turn 1/2 a rev but its been years so don't take that as a fact.

No, dial the science and hold the wind

Those knob's are pretty firm and don't easily rotate. I've had some Vortex PST's over the years and still do with exposed knob's and never had one move. I even had a rifle fall in my deer stand with the windage knob sliding along the wall of the stand. It was the first thing I looked at and it hadn't moved.

FWIW, I've been running VX6HD's for a few years now which have locking elevation and windage knobs. I also just purchased a NX8 which has a capped windage knob. I agree with the above, dial for drop and hold for wind in a hunting situation. Even most target shooters if they dial for wind make on the spot minor adjustments for wind off of hold.

Last edited:
1663509916424.png

I've never had them accidentally move. I've had mine in and out of a rifle scabbard with no issues.

I have 9 nightforce nxs scopes on rifles ..used for hunting /target shooting under extreme conditions from rain to snow to heat and freezing rain and have not had any turrents move on me (in and out of zippered cases ) when putting in truck and back out to hunt and carry in field thru mountain laurel /brush and branches ..never moved !! I think you would be good with one ...very positive clicks ...just make sure turrents are reset at zero after sighting in

Ive never had an issue with mine turning and I hike through some really thick nasty sh#* to get above the tree line where I hunt.

Even if it does rotate, I check rotation as part of the shooting routine. And, it can happen.

A few years back on an elk hunt, I pulled my rifle out of the truck where it was laying flat on the seat. The best I can guess is the cloth of the seat provided enough friction during that aft movement to rotate the elevation turret. No big deal though since checking the turret against the zero stop was second nature to me. Since then, I use scope covers that cover the turrets and will at least minimize the possibility of turret rotation.

I've Got 3 nxs and one thing you will notice is the windage is a lot harder the turn than the elevation never had a problem with mine moving then again they are long-range rifles not scrub bashing hunting rifles