Nightforce nx8 or leupold mark 5

ridgeline300

Building a lightweight 7 SAUM and need to decide on an optic. Here are my thoughts:

I love nightforce and have never had an issue with my NXS. I have 100% confidence in them for reliability. I like the thought of FFP but how useable are the NX8's on lower power? Say 6-10x. My thought is if i go ffp then there is no reason to not go with the 4-32 as i wouldn't be giving up hardly any weight over the 2.5-20. Or do i go SFP in the 2.5-20 so the reticle is visible throughout the whole spectrum and assume if I'm doing any hole over it will be at full power and subtensions will be easy to remember??

next thought- Mark 5 3.6-18x44. I know leupolds don't have the best track record but the Mark 5 on my PRS gun has been great so far. The reticle is awesome from low to high power. Saves a few ounces off the nx8 too. Locking turret is a plus as well.

Thoughts??

I beat the crap out of my first Mk5. I got more solely because of how impressed I was with tracking. Sounds like you answered your own question.

I have a 4-32 with the T3 reticle. I like the optic, but the eye box is a little unforgiving. I have been looking at switching to the Mk5 or an ATACR, I've always lived the Leupold.

I would definitely do the nx8 if between those two. But I just finished my lightweight build and it was between nx8 or the March. I went with March for less weight. That being said I can tell you in my opinion that the 2-2.5 low range is definitely my preference when it come to light weight stalking. Much easier to get on game at close range and fast.

Building a lightweight 7 SAUM and need to decide on an optic. Here are my thoughts:

I love nightforce and have never had an issue with my NXS. I have 100% confidence in them for reliability. I like the thought of FFP but how useable are the NX8's on lower power? Say 6-10x. My thought is if i go ffp then there is no reason to not go with the 4-32 as i wouldn't be giving up hardly any weight over the 2.5-20. Or do i go SFP in the 2.5-20 so the reticle is visible throughout the whole spectrum and assume if I'm doing any hole over it will be at full power and subtensions will be easy to remember??

next thought- Mark 5 3.6-18x44. I know leupolds don't have the best track record but the Mark 5 on my PRS gun has been great so far. The reticle is awesome from low to high power. Saves a few ounces off the nx8 too. Locking turret is a plus as well.

Thoughts??
I've had both scopes, and recently sold the mk5 3.6-18.
If you're wanting to do more hunting and target shooting beyond 600 yards Id go with the nx8.
Clarity and light gathering is much better with the NX8, I've compared both in low light and it really wasn't even close.

That said the mk5 is still an incredible scope that tracked like a champ, for a pure hunting setup where size matters it can't be beat.
I kinda wish I didn't sell it to be honest 😕

I'll have to politely disagree with the above.
I have 7 solid carbon builds. 22 CM up to 300 RUM. 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, and so on. All have NX8 4-32 and Mark 5HD 5-25's. Regret ever selling the ATACR's but I wanted to save weight so I went with the others. While Nightforce is king of reliability and quality, the Mark 5HD is definitely the winner between the two IMO as far as optically AND turret design. I can't stand the eye box on the 4-32. The Mark 5 is a dream to get behind. I also much prefer the feel and sound of the Mark 5 turrets. Really wish the NX8 had that Atacr feel. And as far as light gathering, we've proven time and time again the Mark 5HD without question gathers light better. As far as optically, it can definitely be subjective, but in my opinion the Mark 5 beats out the NX8 in just about all things optically.
Now, while I haven't had a single issue with my Mark 5's, if I was to go to war, I'd still take the NF. The thought of durability will always be in the back of my mind.

I have 7 solid carbon builds. 22 CM up to 300 RUM. 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, and so on. All have NX8 4-32 and Mark 5HD 5-25's. Regret ever selling the ATACR's but I wanted to save weight so I went with the others. While Nightforce is king of reliability and quality, the Mark 5HD is definitely the winner between the two IMO as far as optically AND turret design. I can't stand the eye box on the 4-32. The Mark 5 is a dream to get behind. I also much prefer the feel and sound of the Mark 5 turrets. Really wish the NX8 had that Atacr feel. And as far as light gathering, we've proven time and time again the Mark 5HD without question gathers light better. As far as optically, it can definitely be subjective, but in my opinion the Mark 5 beats out the NX8 in just about all things optically.
Now, while I haven't had a single issue with my Mark 5's, if I was to go to war, I'd still take the NF. The thought of durability will always be in the back of my mind.
This is good to hear. I ended up going with the mark 5 3.6-18x44 non illuminated. This will be my second one. I really love the 5-25... but that thought of if I were to go to war like you mentioned... NF would be my pick so that was my hang up. I think the 3.6-18 will be a great scope for this light build.

You're comparing the 5-25×56 mk5 when I was specifically talking about the 3.6-18×44.
I also have the 5-25 mk5 and the clarity etc.
Is also much better than the 3.6-18.
Super short scopes are handy but they can suffer a little optically

You're comparing the 5-25×56 mk5 when I was specifically talking about the 3.6-18×44.
I also have the 5-25 mk5 and the clarity etc.
Is also much better than the 3.6-18.
Super short scopes are handy but they can suffer a little optically

yup, your right. I was comparing the two two and the 5-25 is noticeably different than the 3.6-18.....

but again to me, it's still the same. The shorter NX8 is even worse as far as eye box than the 4-32 (the reason I went with the 4-32) and the shorter Mark 5HD is IMO considerably better optically than the shorter NX8.
So either way I went, long vs long or short vs short, to me the Leupold was better all around optically.

yup, your right. I was comparing the two two and the 5-25 is noticeably different than the 3.6-18.....

but again to me, it's still the same. The shorter NX8 is even worse as far as eye box than the 4-32 (the reason I went with the 4-32) and the shorter Mark 5HD is IMO considerably better optically than the shorter NX8.
So either way I went, long vs long or short vs short, to me the Leupold was better all around optically.
I also did a low light comparison between my 4-32 nxs and the 5-25 mk5.
I was still able to clearly pick out deer at 600 yards with the nx8 after they were simply blurs in my mk5.
Thats when I decided the 5-25 was getting retired to my match rifle.
I think the eye box is really good on the nx8 as well, but I do agree the mk5 (5-25 version only) is just slightly better.

Either way they're both great scopes, and obviously their oprical attributes are close enough to be subjective

Simple for me. Get the one you can get a better deal on. If you're really trying to shed weight I also like the vx6 hd 3-18x44 and vx5 3-15x44. Oth are a shade over and a shade under 20 oz respectively

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.