Nightforce NX8 eye relief

Initially I didn't like my NX8 4-32 on my 300 rum. I shot over a hundred rounds with a suppressor on it and hated the eyebox on the scope. I couldn't shoot consistently at all.
Then one day I moved the scope rings forward one bar on the rail, and ditched the suppressor for a muzzle brake. I love the whole package now. I think placement in the rings and on the rail are critical.
And I learned a lesson for myself. Never think you can tough it out with unmanage-able recoil. Groups suffer and so does your forehead LOL. If the gun is kicking the crap out of you then maybe re-think your setup.

I just mounted a 2.5-20 on a lighter 6.5x47. Its working quite well on that though the mounting setup offers little flexibility. I'd go with something else on a long action.

i will never try to bash something I have not experienced first hand. There are obviously some issues with the NX8 eye box and mounting space for individuals running a LA with integrated spit rail actions. I'm glad I didn't go this route on my LA Anti X. There are many people that are huge fans of NF. Durability seems to be the top reason I hear about their products. I struggle with going with big and heavy scopes on a hunting rig. Weight introduces not only discomfort when carrying the rifle, but also puts more stress on the optic and mounting points under heavy recoil. I would really like to try a NF scope, but they just don't make a scope that meets my requirements. Maybe one day they will.

i will never try to bash something I have not experienced first hand. There are obviously some issues with the NX8 eye box and mounting space for individuals running a LA with integrated spit rail actions. I'm glad I didn't go this route on my LA Anti X. There are many people that are huge fans of NF. Durability seems to be the top reason I hear about their products. I struggle with going with big and heavy scopes on a hunting rig. Weight introduces not only discomfort when carrying the rifle, but also puts more stress on the optic and mounting points under heavy recoil. I would really like to try a NF scope, but they just don't make a scope that meets my requirements. Maybe one day they will.
With everything there are compromises. Many lightweight scopes use plastic on some of the internal parts which cannot be as durable as metal. Glass quality plays a big role in not only optical quality but also weight.

It cannot be argued against that NF scopes have been proven to be robust, reliable and repeatable.

Some of the other lighter options, maybe not so much.

Sacrifices have to be made somewhere to make them lighter and you have to make choices as to what are important to you.

It should be noted that almost all alpha scopes (NF, ZCO, Kahles, Razor, etc) are typically substantially heavier than other scopes in the same category. The Vortex LHT is a good example. There is no doubt that compromises were made to get the scope to the weight it is.

With everything there are compromises. Many lightweight scopes use plastic on some of the internal parts which cannot be as durable as metal. Glass quality plays a big role in not only optical quality but also weight.

It cannot be argued against that NF scopes have been proven to be robust, reliable and repeatable.

Some of the other lighter options, maybe not so much.

Sacrifices have to be made somewhere to make them lighter and you have to make choices as to what are important to you.

It should be noted that almost all alpha scopes (NF, ZCO, Kahles, Razor, etc) are typically substantially heavier than other scopes in the same category. The Vortex LHT is a good example. There is no doubt that compromises were made to get the scope to the weight it is.
I get it that compromise is a big factor. However, there are manufacturers that seems to be able to build a alpha or near that level of performance under 30 ozs without limiting mounting space and eye box issues with glass that is equal to or better than NF today. I'm talking about hunting scopes that are capable of reliably dialing to LRH distances. TT, March, Zeiss, and Leupold among others are doing it on some of their offerings.

I just sold an NX8. Prefer the NXS. More forgiving eyebox and no dopy zoom ring. Grab the ocular and turn. Glass wasn't different enough for me to care about.

But NXS is not available in FFP or with Mil-XT, so if those feature are important the NXS line is not an option.

Last edited:
Zeiss V6 3-18x50

If wanting FFP, Mil, and a [better] reticle that is also illuminated then this is not a competing product. Though I'll give it to you, the difference in magnification range, talking 2.5-20, is insignificant. If comparing to the 4-32 then, again, the Zeiss is not a competing product. I didn't bother comparing size and weight. Those may matter to some, but not to me. Getting into the weeds there may be more pros for the NX8. For example, I don't know if the Conquest as a zero stop. I know the NX8 does. Overall, otherwise, I may agree it's a solid option.