Nightforce NX8 eye relief

I have 10 nx8's, 3 atacr's, 2 TT's, 3 zco's and various leup's. I prefer the 4x32 over 2x20's. The 2x20's needed another 1/2"of tube. The shorter tube in front does not allow for a lot of adjustment because it is so short. If your eye is where it's suppose to be then the eye box is fine. Get either way of it .2" of an inch and yes the eye box is quirky. But honestly I can say I've never had an issue with them.
You my friend have a problem.

I have the NF NX8 4-32x50 on a 300prc and I have no issues with eye box. The glass is clear, turrets are repeatable and just under tactical feel. I believe it is a very solid optic. I use the higher power to spot targets and look at deer from a distance to identify. I also have a Vortex Razor lht 3-15 and it is a very clear picture but the turrets leaves something to be desired and it's so light that I believe durability wouldn't stand up to the NX8. But I do really like the optic it's on my Savage ultralite 6.5cm. I'm intrigued by the Arken epl4. I'm considering trying one for the money, I have the sh4 gen 2 4-16x50 on my Ruger Precision rimfire 22lr and it tracks very consistent back and forth from 50-300 yards and the glass is pretty decent I can see 22lr bullet trace. Just my 2 cents. Also don't forget Trijicon tenmile or the Bushnell elite DMR3!

I own a NX8 2.5x20 and the eye relief is minimal but since it sits on a 308 I'm not too concerned. I like the scope for the price and was thinking about another one in 4x32 for a larger magnum rifle. I haven't been able to get my hands on one to look through so need some input from someone with first hand knowledge. Is there great eye relief in the 4x32 then the 2x20? I'm looking at the second focal plane scopes.

I'm also considering the ATACR 5x25 but would rather save a few bucks with the NX8.
I was considering the NX8 2.5-20x the power range is what I wanted but your comment regarding the length of the scope, now removed from my list of scopes. Now I will see what Leupold has to offer the Mark5 3.6-18x next Vortex LHT model or Tract Toric model.

I was considering the NX8 2.5-20x the power range is what I wanted but your comment regarding the length of the scope, now removed from my list of scopes. Now I will see what Leupold has to offer the Mark5 3.6-18x next Vortex LHT model or Tract Toric model.
Take a look at the Trijicon 10 mile as well, haven't seen a bad review yet on them including Barbour Creek who has put several thousands of rounds through them

I have a 2.5-20 on my 6.5 prc. I think it's a great scope. But my prc is a 20" carbon clymr. I like that it's light and short. I have no problem with the eye relief. And 20 power is way more than what I personally need. I had a 4-32 and it was a good scope. It replaced a need for a spotting scope if you didn't want to carry one. At the end of the day I didn't care for the 4-32.

Also, the short tube on the 2.5-20 won't allow Talley rings on a long action. You would have to use a full pic rail which I personally think is foolish. They should have thought that out better

I've got a dozen of the 2.5-20 NX-8's now. About 1/2 and 1/2 FFP/SFP. I think it's one of the best hunting scopes made. Tracks perfectly, is lightweight and compact. No issues at all with eye relief as I always put them on a rail. Don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you a Vortex or Leupold is in the same league. You'll be fine with the 4-32 if you run a rail. I've never taken a shot at an animal where I needed more than 20X so have only one of the 4-32's and it's on a PRS rifle. Still could have got away with the 2.5-20 on that one.

Last edited:

Recent Posts