Nightforce NSX 5,5-22

lorvan

I am seriously thinking on buy a Nightforce NSX 5,5-22 with NPR2 reticle.
Question is, do they have repeatable adjustments and are they optically good enough for longer range work.
If someone has experience with this unit please inform me of its merits or negatives. And If I buy I am not sure if I mount it on my Wby Vanguard 7 rem.M or on my remington 700 Police in 308 Win ( I have on a Springfield scope now.. )

Thanks.

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

I can think of no negatives regarding the NXS scope you reference. You will be pleased with the quality of the optics, turrets and clicks. I know of no down side.

It will be adequate for distances well beyond the range of either gun you mention.

Hope this helps.

Roy Chiappini

I have 5 Nightforce scopes and could not be happier... Nightforce Scopes are used by Special OPS...They are extremelyt rugged and well built and they adjust precisely and are One of the very few scopes that adjust in True MOA and not IPHY or you can get them with metric adjustments to match a mill dot reticle

This scope has an Ak-47 bullet hole completely through the outer tube and the erector tube and still functioned...The soldier taped up the holes and uesed the scope for 3 more days as it still functioned properly according to the soldier

NightforceAK-47.jpg

If you can find a more rugged,precise optical sighting system anywhere close to the price let me know,because I am intreested......
thumb.gif

Last edited:
I bought one back in july. once I got over the sticker shock, I could not be happier. You get what you pay for. I will have a couple of more in the near future, I am that impressed.

I have 5 Nightforce scopes and could not be happier...
LOL, yup, I have 3 and LOVE them.

Nightforce Scopes are used by Special OPS...They are extremelyt rugged and well built and they adjust precisely and are One of the very few scopes that adjust in True MOA and not IPHY or you can get them with metric adjustments to match a mill dot reticle

I have one 3.5-15x50 and two 5.5-22x50s and they are **EXCELLENT** scopes. I used to be a "Leupold Guy", but can't bring myself to buy high-end Loopy's anymore. I use mine for long range tactical competitions, groundhog hunting and just shooting and the adjustments are crisp, correct and repeatable. Optics are great . . . at the matches, we spot each other's shots through our scopes all day long and and I find them easier to look through all day than my best Leupolds.

I use mine for ranging and have mildot based reticles. The 3.5-15x has a mildot and the 5.5-22xs have "MLR" reticles. The reticles are crisp and correctly dimensioned, and in conjunction with my Mildot Master slide rule, render very good range estimates when lasers aren't permitted.

If you can find a more rugged,precise optical sighting system anywhere close to the price let me know,because I am intreested......

Good luck . . . IMHO, the best scope in the NF price range is a NF.

ETA: Shiredude, you're in BIG trouble now . . . LOL.

I see NF NXS scopes beaten in one or two areas, but very hard to beat overall. It's a pretty solid standard.

There are 3 potential negatives that should atleast be considered:
1. They're very heavy. A full +10oz overweight compared to Leupold MK4M1 and other scopes. Weight is a performance factor that adds up in the field.
2. The 56mm objective often causes shooters to need highest scope mounting available to clear the barrel. Especially when used with 20moa+ bias. The higher your mount the greater the sensitivity to cant.
3. The eyepiece turns with power adjustment. This sucks w/regard to butler flip-up covers(the best cover available for field use, outside Alumina). Lenses absolutely must be protected in the field.

These may not be a concern for you at all. With 3 of my rifles, the NFs are a decent fit. But Leupold's 8.5x25M4M1 is still my favorite scope overall. I have 3 of these with custom reticles, and would not trade them for ANY other scopes made today, at any price.

I own only one NF but I wouldn't trade it for the world and you get what you pay for ultimately. I also have two S&B's. These are top end scopes with top end performance, these two things are not necessarily bed fellows but they are with these two manufacturers.

Go ahead make your purchase you wont be dissappointed.

Mikecr, you make it sound like NIghtforce only offers a 56mm objective,you never mentioned the 50mm objective.. Since Priemer reticle does not work on Leupold scopes any more where is one to get custom reticles.. Another advantage of Nightforce is that they offer 12 different reticle choices...I used Leupold before I got Nightforce and while scopes are personal preference I would not go back to Leupy,that's how much I like my Nightforce scopes....The added wieght is an exceptable trade off to me for what I get in return......

Good points JWP
The reticle pickins are pretty pathetic for Leupold these days. And it was a great move on NF's part to offer the 22x in 50mm.

Lorvan,
Nightforce NXS Scopes are AWESOME!!!!!!! The 5.5x22x56mm has the most elevation MOA avaliable and it will allow you to reach out way past 1500 yards.

IMO, Nightforce NXS scopes are the best scope available, other than S&B. Nightforce NXS scopes are expensive, but they are worth every penny!!!! The NXS 5.5x22x56 will cost you about $1550.00. the NXS 8x32x56mm will cost $1650.00, and the NXS 12x42x56mm will cost $1730.00. You might be able to find them for a better price. I am thinking JB and Learch can get you a much better deal.

The S&B's are extreamly nice, however, they will run close to $3000.00.

I have owned 4 Nightforce NXS Scopes, and I will never use another scope unless I can afford a S&B.

IMO, this how I rate the following scopes in order. I left out the S&B scopes, becuase they are soooo expensive. Here are my top 5 with #1 being the best;

1. Nighforce NXS scopes
2. US Optics Scopes
3. Leupold Scopes
4. Nikon Scopes
5 Weaver

Don't get me wrong, I like Leupolds too. However, once I started using Nightforce NXS scopes, there was NO comparison and NO going back as long as I could afford them. If I couldn't afford the NXS, then my next choice would be a Leupold.

IMO, Nightforce scopes, compared to Leupolds, have MUCH better Optics, better overall operation of scope (Moving parts, ect), Better Click Value, Better Reticle choices, much stonger, better looking, better return to zero, ect.

Remember, the above mentioned comments are my opinions, So please, if your a Leupold guy, don't get mad. I know there are others that will say Leupolds are just as good. However, I think you will find that many on this site will agree, Nightforce scopes are much better than Leupolds and the others mentioned scopes, except for the S&B line of Long range scopes.

Get a Nightforce NXS, you will thank me, I promise you!!!

The NXS scopes are sweet. Their service is great also. But I'm pretty sure you're snowing yourselves in some ways..
None of my NXS scopes have better optics than my Leupolds.
They are equal optically, and in function, IMO.

Just for info, you can get scopes straight out of the Leupold custom shop with many options beyond scopes so far mentioned.
This is where I'm getting mine lately:
Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T M1 Long Range Tactical Riflescopes Personalized by Leupold Custom Shop w/ FREE UPS
This scope along with the Alumina flip-ups, sunshade and filters, will do everything you will ever need from a scope, for any shooting application today. With this, it's value will hold or increase.
So NF is not the only game in town.

I agree with you and disagree at the same time...I have seen Leupolds that do not hold a candle to a Nightforce opticaly and I have seen some that do...Leupold at the presnt time seem to be up and down when it comes to quality control and how much are you paying for a custom Leupold? In many cases the customizing of a Leupold puts the total cost near a NXS and will not be worth as much used as a used NXS....Except for the wieght issue IHMO and experience the NXS is a cut above Leupy...I know that many will not agree with my opion...............

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.