Nightforce NP-R2 holdover distances for 300wsm

Jcooper

I need a little help, please. I just ordered a Kimber Montana 300WSM with a Nighforce NP-R2 5.5x22x56. My question is, does anyone have an idea or a table for the 2MOA markings below the zero point for range? I'll sight the gun in at 200 yards and the only compensation I'm comfortable with now is holdover. This rifle is for hunting, so I fill holdover provides me faster reaction time. I'll be shooting Federal 165 grain Trophy bonded Tips. I've looked online and even called Nightforce but no luck. I know I should go to the range and figure this out myself, but I though someone would already have a little insight into this. Any ideas or suggests would be appreciated. Thanks!

This might help you get started. You need to chrono your load before you can hope for decent calculator estimates.

Federal Premium - Downloadable Ballistics Application

Then you can plug the factory data (BC, MV) into JBM's constant drop calculator. It'll tell you what range each 2 MOA equals (instead of telling you what MOA each range equals).

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory μCard - Constant Drop

What I get doing it is:
Zero at 200
2MOA at 390
4MOA at 539
6MOA at 665
8MOA at 773
10MOA at 868
12MOA at 952
14MOA at 1028
16MOA at 1096
18MOA at 1159
20MOA at 1217

Last edited:
I need a little help, please. I just ordered a Kimber Montana 300WSM with a Nighforce NP-R2 5.5x22x56. My question is, does anyone have an idea or a table for the 2MOA markings below the zero point for range? I'll sight the gun in at 200 yards and the only compensation I'm comfortable with now is holdover. This rifle is for hunting, so I fill holdover provides me faster reaction time. I'll be shooting Federal 165 grain Trophy bonded Tips. I've looked online and even called Nightforce but no luck. I know I should go to the range and figure this out myself, but I though someone would already have a little insight into this. Any ideas or suggests would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure what you are asking. Ihave a NF 5.5-22X50 w/NP-R2. The cross hatches are 2 MOA. Approximately 2" @ 100 yds, 4" @ 200 yds, 6" @ 300 yds, etc.

It's really very simple. You need a ballistic calc for your drops. The best option is to have it in the feild with you, but you can make a drop chart for youir rilfe and load. If you range your target @ 525 yds, go to the chart and check the MOA correction. If it says 3.6 MOA. hold the 4 MOA cross hatch slightly above your POA. You are better off dialing the correction in, but if you can interpolate the MOA markings that will work too.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.