Nightforce MOAR advice

glasser

I really want to know how guys are using their Nightforce scopes with the MOAR reticle. Right now I have 2 custom built rifles with different scopes. My 7mm has a Zeiss with the Rapid Z 800 Reticle. It shoots too flat for the reticle, so I have a cheat sheet for that one. My .30-.338 has a Leupold VX3 with the Varmint reticle. Have to have a cheat sheet on the stock for that one too. It had a Zeiss on it until I was crossing a creek and fell down the bank, landing on my scope. I have it figured to 700 without dialing right now. I guess I've had some bad experiences dialing in the past, so for hunting, prefer holdover reticles. I'm curious how different hunters use their MOAR reticle. Hold over or dial. Or a combination of both. Nightforce quit making their Velocity 1000 or thats what I'd be getting. My buddy loves his. Anyways, I'm leaning towards either the NXS or Atacr so would love some feedback. Thanks, David

Dial for elevation and hold for the wind.
I guess I have a trust issue with dialing. Had a couple different Leupolds with custom turrets. One worked perfect until it stuck. Had a buck at 400yds and did a quick range and dial. Shot under him twice. After doing all the forensics I put a target on a stump and shot at 100. Was still 2" high at 100. ( I always hunted with my scope dial for 200). The other one wouldn't return to zero reliably, and fortunately I never crippled or lost any critters before I figured it out.

I guess I have a trust issue with dialing. Had a couple different Leupolds with custom turrets. One worked perfect until it stuck. Had a buck at 400yds and did a quick range and dial. Shot under him twice. After doing all the forensics I put a target on a stump and shot at 100. Was still 2" high at 100. ( I always hunted with my scope dial for 200). The other one wouldn't return to zero reliably, and fortunately I never crippled or lost any critters before I figured it out.

If you get a Nightforce NXS or ATACR you can dial with confidence.

"Nightforce quit making their Velocity 1000 or thats what I'd be getting."

If you watch the classifieds here, other forums, and Gunbroker you can find NF scopes with that reticle.

Personally I dial if there is time and use hold overs for everything else and quick shots. Make sure you get FFP. I like the Tremor 3 reticle and the H59 if I were you. I had the MOAR and sold it . If you hold over those reticle are awesome. Our the new Mil Xt is nice too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.