Nightforce lately?

lhp63190

First, the disclosure — I spent 14 years in the hunting/shooting sports industry (didn't work for a gun, ammo, optic company) before moving to another industry a couple of years ago. During that time, one particular colleague served as a mentor in my long range hunting and shooting development. He spent a lot of time with me at the range and even taught me to reload for LR. He was also a competitive benchrest shooter and accomplished long range hunter. Furthermore, he works at one of the largest firearms, optics, accessory distributors in the country. Names are omitted to protect the innocent.

In any case, it is been a few years since we touched base, but we had a long conversation last week as I'm contemplating a new build. When we got to the subject of optics — I was very surprised at some of the things he said. For years, this man was a complete Nightforce loyalist for hunting rigs. He could get a lot of optics for free based on his job, and he still paid for NF (albeit @ wholesale prices). His affinity was primarily due to their mechanical precision and durability...not necessarily glass clarity. He strongly recommended I take a look at some other optics for my new build. As I prodded a little bit he shared these quotes:
  • It's not the same company it was a few years ago. Massive turnover, poor customer service, and arrogance.
  • They've traded precision for profit. Lost focus on what made them great.
  • Their new lines (SHV/NX8) are substandard (returns) and other companies have improved/passed them in the at the NXS/ATACR price points.

Its been a couple of days since this conversation and I'm still trying to digest it. My personal experience w NF has been excellent on the two scopes I own. I took it once step further and called 3 builders I trust. 2 of them have built guns for me before. After discussing the build, I talked optics and none of the 3 recommended NF unless I just demanded it.

Anybody else had any poor experiences w NF lately? Have other companies improved that much? The consistent recommendation across the 4 people I talked to were Leupold on the $2000 range, and Kahles in the $3300 range. Still S&B above 4K.

I can say my Atacr is only a few years old and is everything you would expect from nightforce.
Heck I'm even very happy with my shv for what the price was. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do another one. Only reason I'm leaning towards March for my new build is weight. Still deciding between nx8 and March. Nx8 I can get with cabelas bucks and March I'd have to pay for. March is 4oz lighter

He's not one to give specific recommendations but he gave me a couple options at various price points. After talking to the custom builders, the 2 options I'm considering are:

Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25
Kahles K525i 5-25.

wanted to stay below 2500 on a scope and I've had some issues w leupold in the past in lower priced scopes (VX3) but it seems like they've made some significant improvement lately.

He's not one to give specific recommendations but he gave me a couple options at various price points. After talking to the custom builders, the 2 options I'm considering are:

Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25
Kahles K525i 5-25.

wanted to stay below 2500 on a scope and I've had some issues w leupold in the past in lower priced scopes (VX3) but it seems like they've made some significant improvement lately.
You cannot go wrong with the 525i, solid scope.
On NF, whether or not something has went awry, we still do not hear or read complaints about NXS or models above. Their F1 line of Atacr seem to be top shelf with great glass.
I cannot speak for NF, but if the SHV line was my brainchild, I would slip away in obscurity. Every scope mfg'r does not need to fill every niche in the optics world.

Any mention of zco and tangent theta? Also, why did they not like nf. Was there any particular reason? Like they don't track hold zero or etc etc. Most of the dislike for the nx8 is because of its ultra short design, there are things they can't work out of it due to the length. Seems they just don't like the innovation there of late.

Last edited:
No mention of ZCO or TG. My source said that the NXS/ATACR are just as good as they always were for the most part. But if you do have an issue, customer service isn't nearly what it used to be...primarily driven by high return rates of lower end models.

The general summation is that other companies have significantly improved their precision tracking and durability AND offer better glass and or weight ratios than in similarity priced products.

Last info that I read, the majority of the top level PRS shooters are using NF ATACR, followed by Kahles in 2nd. Not sure if that means anything about NF in general, but of those two models, the ATACR seems to be preferred. The new Leupold Mark 5 has a very small market share in this arena, based on the same article I read.

No mention of ZCO or TG. My source said that the NXS/ATACR are just as good as they always were for the most part. But if you do have an issue, customer service isn't nearly what it used to be...primarily driven by high return rates of lower end models.

The general summation is that other companies have significantly improved their precision tracking and durability AND offer better glass and or weight ratios than in similarity priced products.
Ok I see where they are coming from on the innovation and price stand point. The same can be said for S&B and T&T. Basically the designs are getting older, but the atacr isn't old and the reticles they keep turning out impress. I don't know about the CS but I haven't heard anything to bad. I think the only way to get behind a more innovative company is to support ZCO. Just my personal opinion.

My experiences with Nightforce have been to the contrary. While I have used them for several years, I thought they were just OK. My mind has changed. In particular, the latest upgrade to the ATACR is far superior to the original model in almost every respect. My experiences with three of these scopes have been outstanding. Over the past two years, Nightforce climbed to the top position at the PRS events have participated in. I have been running the ATACR F2 as my primary for LRH and the F1's for PRS, both replacing tier 1 scopes that cost +20% more. I suspect if NF had the issues to the extent conveyed by your friend, they would likely have shown up by now. IMO.

Last edited:
The guys who came in 2nd place at mammoth used an NX8 and that wasn't an easy course on equipment. The guys who came in first for the non tough man competition one had an NXS the other a ZCO. I have an ATACR F1 and it's the most impressive scope I've personally seen. It's on par if not better than my buddies kahles. Much nicer and easier features to use than his SB PMII. Now I'm the king of "poor man" scopes so Comparing it to my SWFAs, bushnells, and nikons isn't really fair.

I'm interested in any specific complaints he has. I don't doubt his complaints are valid just narrowing down what the issues are. Thanks for the post.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.