Nightforce illuminated Reticle

piutemike

My question is for those of you that have the illuminated reticle, is there a loss of target clarity in low light conditions? Do you see the reticle clearly, but it obscures the animal? Hope that makes sense. :confused:

I'm new to this and buying a new scope, I only want to buy one, not two, You know buy one I'm not gonna be happy with then buy another one.

50 or 56 MM, 3.5x15 or 5x22 want to hunt to 1000 minimum with practice, and shoot as far as I can learn to shoot. Scope is going on a stock Model 7 300SAUM.

Any Suggestions on Mounting hardware? I'm gonna shoot this gun till I wear out the barrel then get or build the gun I want @ that time. Should have a pretty good idea of what I need/want by then. BTW, this site is pretty nice. I live in a city of 400,000 and can't find this type of info here.

I have shot with the illumination on several times out to 700-1000 yards and the target is not impaired by the illuminated reticle. You may or not be able to see the target depending on how dark it is, but if you can see it you will certainly be able to put the cross-hair intersection on it nicely.

As for what model, I believe the optimum is the 3.5-15x50 with the NPR-2 reticle, suggest you wait until spring and get the much rumored Zero-stop elevation turret as they are the cat's-butt. Very simply that turret enables you to return to your original zero point perfectly every time.

As for mounting system, look at Badger Ordnance and Near Precison for some of the nicest tactical mounts made - Badgers in steel and also aluminum, Richard Nears in stainless and they are superb. Also Nightforce sells good ones and Glen Seekins from Seekins Precision, again Nightforce in steel or aluminum, Glen's are aluminum and very well machined. There are others but these are probably the top contenders right now. They are not cheap, but neither was your scope. You will need a medium height ring set and an Eagle stock pack on your rifle to get the cheek-weld up a bit.

Good luck. A Nightforce on a Model 7 is going to look strange, pretty big scope for a small rifle but you would enjoy shooting a Nightforce on any rifle!

is there a loss of target clarity in low light conditions? Do you see the reticle clearly, but it obscures the animal? Hope that makes sense.
Like Ian said, if you can see the target you can usually use the illuminated reticle. When you will be needing it is under low light conditions and that will probably limit your range that you will be able to see the target. I've used mine a lot and like it when needed.

Also remember that you can adjust the intensity of the illumination of the reticle so you can set it for what works for your eye.

50 or 56 MM, 3.5x15 or 5x22 want to hunt to 1000 minimum with practice, and shoot as far as I can learn to shoot
I like the 56mm but that is personal preference. I've never had a problem with the larger size. Again, personal preference, but if I was going to hunt to 1000 minimum and shoot as far as I can, I'd go with the 5.5-22. Most of the time the lower power works just great with the fantastic glass in the NF. Also, you can turn the 22x down, but you can't turn the 15x up any farther.;) I've played around with the power vs. range on the NF and you'd be amazed what you can do with quality glass on some pretty low powers at some loooong ranges.:rolleyes:

I also agree with Ian when it comes to rings and bases. I went with NF rings and a Nesika base. Don't scrimp, buy the best and you will only have to do it once.:)

Having said all of the above, you might give a lot of consideration to Ian's comment about size of scope vs. size of gun. If "a little top heavy" doesn't bother you then the 22 would work. If "visual" is a consideration, then the 15 would work.

Thanks guys, Ya i Know, Big Scope, little gun, but this what I have for a gun right now. Probably won't always have that stock gun but I should be able to use that scope on something in the future. Starting to get pricey even without buying a gun. Scope, bipod, reloading stuff, chrono. Original budget of $1,500.00 to get started is totally out the window.

Thanks guys, Ya i Know, Big Scope, little gun, but this what I have for a gun right now. Probably won't always have that stock gun but I should be able to use that scope on something in the future. Starting to get pricey even without buying a gun. Scope, bipod, reloading stuff, chrono. Original budget of $1,500.00 to get started is totally out the window.

Buying a good scope up front is very smart in my opinion.

AJ

I just got a 3x15x50 with the NP-R1 this week and boy am I impressed. I have been playing with the ill. reticle. I set the intensity as low I could and still be able to see it in total darkness. If you get it to bright it will wash out the target and all you will be able to see is the reticle. I was watching some deer yesterday well after dark by moonlight with the illumination turned on with no problems seeing the deer. The only complaint I have with this scope is it is a pain to adjust the intensity. Hope this helps.

I don't have an NF scope but I do have an illuminated reticle in an IOR scope. The illuminated reticle will work quite well in dim and dark conditions. When the reticle washes out against a dark background in dim light just turn the illumination up until you can see the reticle again and you're back in business. Mine has worked great since I got the scope. I am most pleased with it and planning on getting another lit reticle scope soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.