Nightforce G7 fogging

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by 93trojan, Oct 4, 2011.

1. 93trojan

93trojan Well-Known Member

Well, I brought my new 338 win mag to Utah on an elk hunt. I had Gunwerks put on a G7 5.5x22. I have Swarovskis on my other rifles, so it was a little leap of faith to try something new. It was a rainy morning when the moment of truth came. A big bull stepped out with some cows at about 400 yards. I got set up on a rock and when I was locked and loaded, I looked to find the bull in my scope. I almost had a heart attack when all I could see was a white fuzzy blob! I was thinking, "This piece of sh!!t"(among a lot of other things that I wont write here), as I frantically searched for some tissue to wipe the lens. I still fought some fogging after the wipe job, but was able to connect on the bull. He went into some trees and didn't come out. I decided to take a look through my Swarovski 10x50 SLCs to see if I could find him. What do you know, my Swarovskis were all fogged up also! I couldn't believe it. It must have been the perfect storm for fogging good optics. The bull was down thankfully. I looked at my new rifle/scope and smiled. I quietly apologized to my Nightforce:)

93trojan

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Well-Known Member

troj,

If the fogging was on the outside I don't think it would be a fault of the optics, or would it?

Glad you got the bull!!

3. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

Keep your guns/optics in the truck overnight and if they stay outside temp you should
    see less problems with the lenses fogging up.

4. hatfield954

hatfield954 Well-Known Member

Yes, do just like Loner mentioned about leaving them in your truck overnight or enough time before you hunt. I learned that lesson from my binoculars fogging up. I put everything in the vehicle I will be taking the night before and if I hunt in the evening I put em out there around lunch time.