NIghtforce Ballistic software..

Never realized that Eaglet. I would have thought that updates would be free. With the possibility of upgrades requiring a fee, if the upgrade involved sweeping modifications.

As you know, I'm using Patagonia Ballistics LoadBase 2.0. Soon to be 3.0. Another reason to count my blessings. :)

Phorwath, the last time I checked, altitude was included in atmospheric conditions, along with barometric pressure (which obviously changes with altitude), relative humidity, and temperature. The chart I referred to was to include the results of shooting the rifle at different altitudes, different temperatures, different relative humidities, for different distances. Perhaps I should have said that in detail the first time. There is no substitute for sighting in your rifle at the altitude you intend to hunt. Every single ballistic program I have used (and I think I have used them all) gives you incorrect information sooner or later. It is just the nature of the beast.

Phorwath, the last time I checked, altitude was included in atmospheric conditions, along with barometric pressure (which obviously changes with altitude), relative humidity, and temperature. The chart I referred to was to include the results of shooting the rifle at different altitudes, different temperatures, different relative humidities, for different distances. Perhaps I should have said that in detail the first time. There is no substitute for sighting in your rifle at the altitude you intend to hunt. Every single ballistic program I have used (and I think I have used them all) gives you incorrect information sooner or later. It is just the nature of the beast.

Not sure where you're coming from. I've got a pretty good handle on altitude, atmospheric pressure, and atmospheric pressures corrected to sea level (barometric pressure).

I can't imagine that you're suggesting that we shoot our rifles iteratively at different altitudes, temperatures, and relative humidities, over different distances in order to prepare a chart of logged data that will be used for future hunts. If a person were to hunt from the same blind over an entire hunting career, I suppose one could proceed in that manner. Then you'd only have to account for changes in atmospheric conditions.

I purchase and use ballistics software precisely so I don't have to do what you're suggesting. It can account for any temperatures, atmospheric pressures, relative humidity, angle of fire, wind, spind drift, coriolis effect - down to the minutia - but at least the important ballistics affecting factors so that all one has to do is confirm the rifle is still properly zeroed after travelling to a hunting location and go hunt. The ballistics software will modify the POA as necessary for the conditions under which the shot is actually being taken. If you're saying it's a good idea to confirm your rifle's zero prior to the hunt, or that one needs to confirm the ballistic software predicted drops with range time - no problem. But if you're saying shoot in different temperatures, atmospheric pressures, relative humidities, and angles of fire either at the home range or at hunting camp prior to going hunting in order to develop a chart prior to beginning the hunt? A lot of my hunts would be over based on the allocation of time that would be required to generate these charts. The game would be scared out of the country, I'd be out of ammo, and have a barrel that needed to be cleaned of copper build-up.

Unless I'm getting the wrong interpretation from your post, my question would be - Why do you buy the various ballistic software programs that you say you've purchased and used if you're not going to use them to modify your POA under different conditions of fire?

Last edited:
If all someone is doing is hunting under conditions and at the distances one normally shoots at in hunting terrain, they can get along fine with a ballistic program used in the manner you suggest. What I was suggesting is intended for use by someone who wants to wring the maximum possible ability out of their rifle to hit exactly where they are aiming on varmints or game animals at long range. If someone practices a lot with their rifle and load over a period of time and at different locations, and keeps track, they will find that they have started to compile such a chart anyway.

I do very long range varmint hunting inn many different locations, and I shoot large game in many different places, at greater distances than most people seem to (really long cross-canyon shots, where there is no ability to get closer before shooting without scaring the game; after shooting, you can get as close as you want).

I bought the various ballistic programs to find out how well (or, in some cases, if) they worked well enough to use in any way for this. I found inappropriate algorithms in some, and I found that the calculations in at least one were based on one rifle and load in each caliber, fired, in some cases, only one time. I found that some of these programs would have you miss completely a lot of the time, and I found that at least a couple were pretty good. I think that some of the program manufacturers have done an excellent job of providing a program that can be used by most people, under the conditions and in the manner in which they shoot, and I found, that, for my purposes, they are of only limited use.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but once I've confirmed my ballistics software is accurately predicting my actual drops out to 1000yds under the specified atmospheric conditions existing on the day(s) I've field tested it, I then trust it to modify my POA for any other set of shooting locations/conditions I encounter.

I haven't come across any better method of predicting proper POA when traversing the wilds of Alaska in search of game, and taking shots from altitudes, locations, and angles that I may have never encountered before, and may never again duplicate while shooting at game.

Last edited:
Again, for the kind of shooting you are doing, obviously, the ballistic programs you are using do the job for you, and that is great. If I was only shooting out to 1,000 yards, I could manage quite nicely on big game using the same programs that you do. Small varmints at such distances and beyond, however, are another matter entirely. Some of the varmints I shoot have a vital area that is only about 1.5-2" across, and on these, at these distances, a 1/8' error can give you a complete miss. I do a great deal of shooting, and keep detailed records on every shot I take, so that I can hit the varmints I want to, at the ranges, and under the conditions, I want to hit them. No ballistic program that I have yet seen gives precise enough data to be of more than ballpark use for this, although for that, they work just fine.

Good luck, and good shooting!

Again, for the kind of shooting you are doing, obviously, the ballistic programs you are using do the job for you, and that is great. If I was only shooting out to 1,000 yards, I could manage quite nicely on big game using the same programs that you do. Small varmints at such distances and beyond, however, are another matter entirely. Some of the varmints I shoot have a vital area that is only about 1.5-2" across, and on these, at these distances, a 1/8' error can give you a complete miss. I do a great deal of shooting, and keep detailed records on every shot I take, so that I can hit the varmints I want to, at the ranges, and under the conditions, I want to hit them. No ballistic program that I have yet seen gives precise enough data to be of more than ballpark use for this, although for that, they work just fine.

Good luck, and good shooting!

I've tried several also and found that some are better than and run truer than others. My printed drop chart is tuned to run as true as possible to my real fire numbers. BUT it has pen marks on it my 700 yard dope for some reason is off by 1/2 MOA on one chart.
A program gets me close then I tune the program to match my real fire results as close as possible at 300, 500, 750 and 1K Then do a lot of shooting and take noted of minor corrections. As stated small targets need small margins of error.

I see more problems with programs with smaller slower caliber rifles at long range such as my 6br. Past 600 yards it sheds 1MOA every 25 yards with the program I ran for it the 500 yard dope is perfect but the 700 is off enough to miss a varmint such as a fox. My last fox was taken at 670 and would have been a miss without real fire data to back up the chart.

Last edited:
Thanks, Rimfire, for getting where I am coming from. I have fine-tuned some of the better ballistic program data, too, but at extreme ranges not covered by the data I already have, program data so tuned still does not predict POI well enough to use. My last ground squirrel was taken at 1352 yards, with one shot, using a rifle I have put over 2300 rounds through and kept such detailed records on that that shot was a lot less luck than one might think. Especially since my second-to-last ground squirrel (on the same outing) was taken at 1134 yards, also with one shot. Now, before anybody yells at me, let me hasten to add that I do not shoot that well every day. Just most days...lol.:D

Thanks, Rimfire, for getting where I am coming from. I have fine-tuned some of the better ballistic program data, too, but at extreme ranges not covered by the data I already have, program data so tuned still does not predict POI well enough to use. My last ground squirrel was taken at 1352 yards, with one shot, using a rifle I have put over 2300 rounds through and kept such detailed records on that that shot was a lot less luck than one might think. Especially since my second-to-last ground squirrel (on the same outing) was taken at 1134 yards, also with one shot. Now, before anybody yells at me, let me hasten to add that I do not shoot that well every day. Just most days...lol.:D

["Nothing was ever killed by a fast noise"]

If you shoot me your email address, I will send you a simple to use calculator in the Excel format that can be used on a pocket PC with Excel. If this will fit your needs for a portable calculator, then you can have it.

Hiya Mate,

Just noticed you have some excel balistics software, any chance you could send me a copy please.

[email protected]

Thanks Mate.

If you shoot me your email address, I will send you a simple to use calculator in the Excel format that can be used on a pocket PC with Excel. If this will fit your needs for a portable calculator, then you can have it.
Hallo Michael I just join the forum and I'm battling to dial in my scope and rifle would you be so kind sending me that simple to use calculator of yours I have a weatherby mark v with nigtforce nxs 5.5x22x50 and use 200gr swift a frame thanks Anton Barnard

Hallo Michael I just join the forum and I'm battling to dial in my scope and rifle would you be so kind sending me that simple to use calculator of yours I have a weatherby mark v with nigtforce nxs 5.5x22x50 and use 200gr swift a frame thanks Anton Barnard

Hey Anton, this is a REALLY old thread that you found. Things have changed quite a bit in the last 9 years. There are tons of cheap (or free) ballistic calculators out there now that are easier (IMO) to use then Excel.

If you can't get one of them to work post up as much info as you have on your setup and I'm sure someone can help you out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.