NightForce ATACR 4-16x42 F1 for long range?

Raising Kane

I'm trying to decide between the newly released NightForce ATACR 4-16x42mm F1 and the ATACR 5-25x56mm F1

I have a 26" 7mm LRM custom hunting rifle that finally arrived so now I'm looking for an optic. I'm new to the long range hunting community but I'm a very experienced shooter. I'm very comfortable making shots to 350yds with my previous 30.06.

With a max of 16x what distance would most experienced long range hunters feel comfortable taking a shot at an Elk or Deer? At ranges exceeding 600 yards what power do you typically have your scope set to?

The overall size, weight, and lower cost of the 4-16 has me leaning in that direction. Would a 1000yd shot be much easier with the 5-25 than the 4-16?

Thanks for your input.

...you are, or am I?

I have the old 3.5-15 F1 and the new 5-25 F1. I have killed big game with the old at 10x at over 1000 yards but I dont like the reticle thickness and less eye relief on 15x. The 5-25 F1's reticle Is still bigger than I would like but it will be used alot more...

The one thing I've learned from owning good glass is the clearity. What I mean is a person can see better out of lower power NF than a Low budget scope on high power. I guess what I'm getting at is you can see very well at a grand with 16 power through a NF.

I have 3-12, 4-16, 5-20 and (have-had) 6-24 in the past.. and I do shoot 1000+ regularly. Even with my 3-12 (which I have on one of my "hunters") I don't feel any handicap to shoot 1000, nor would I hesitate to take a shot on an animal if things were just-right that-day. It's more rifle/shooter/AMMO than it is optic, in all honesty.

On average, I find myself in that 12-14x range (even in my higher power scopes) at all distances right to 13XX. I personally am no big fan of the LOSS of field of view at magnifications much over 16x... especially on my hunting rigs. Besides, certain days mirage will absolutely blind you anywhere's much above 15/16x anyway, deeming 20+ useless...

I think that ATACR 4-16 would do you **** good. Nightforce did a nice job putting that-one together.

While I have used the scopes in the 14-16 x max power range successfully at long range, if I were investing in a high end scope like the ATACR, I would stretch and go for the 25x. Not only will shot placement be more precise at the higher magnification, the ability to discern interfering brush at the longer ranges will be enhanced. IMO.

Thanks for all the advice. It would be interesting to know what percentage of long range hunters actually shoot game using over 16x at ranges exceeding 600yds on a regular basis. I have a feeling that it might be a much lower percentage than people using the 14-16x range.

I have the 5-25 ATACR and love the high magnification for shooting targets, but for how I hunt I just don't need 25x, nor do I want the 38 ounces that go with it. I have taken the rifle hunting a few times and on occasion I had it turned up to 25 to look at animals really far off which is nice... almost like a spotting scope built in to your rifle.

I did have to turn the 25x down to about the 18x range during my last elk hunt... elk were moving through the oaks everywhere between 350 and 750 yards and I just couldn't find them quick enough on 25x. Based on performance/magnification I think the 4-16 ATACR is pretty darn close to perfect. For a hunting rifle that would be my choice between the two you are looking at.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.