Nightforce announces new lower priced 4-14x56 SHV riflescope

Beside the name, I don't see a real advantage over this scope compared to the Vortex PST FFP.

Vortex -

Illuminated
50MM
sort of has a zero stop
great warranty
similar price - lower if you shop around. If you can live with a SFP, lower price by a few hundred $$$
Exposed Turrets
up to 24X zoom

Beside the name, I don't see a real advantage over this scope compared to the Vortex PST FFP.

Vortex -

Illuminated
50MM
sort of has a zero stop
great warranty
similar price - lower if you shop around. If you can live with a SFP, lower price by a few hundred $$$
Exposed Turrets
up to 24X zoom

The Vortex and the NF are totally different systems. I don't know what the new guy looks like in the inside, but the other ones are build just like they say, the best it can be. other than maybe not have the absolute best glass that money can buy (thought it is VERY VERY good glass) there isn't any way to make a better scope. the tube is not stamped, it is machined. the internal mechanisms are so finely tuned and cut that you wonder where the machine is that makes that kind of stuff. they do crazy stuff like tumble the titanium spring that give tension to the device that moves the cross hairs for like a week in make it absolutely smooth (like polished). there is never a "I need to move 56 clicks so I move 57 or 58 and back a few to remove the backlash" thing. the Vortex isn't even close to this kind of quality. so I don't know what they have done with the new unit, but I would assume that the internal mechanism is similar if not the same and the glass might be a lower grade and they saved money on the turret as we can see and the tube probably isn't machined, its probably stamped. stuff that gets you to 1500 yards instead of 2700 with a 338 Lapua mag in Afghanistan. I did notice the weight of that unit is still really heavy. I like that. that tells me the aren't cutting to many thing out that need to be there. I also know that nightfoce is a relatively new company (as compared to Nikon and Steiner for example) so I don't think they are trying to cash in on their name just yet. For these reasons, I believe that this will be a very good value; something that is getting harder and harder to come by these days.
and btw, I cant understand why you would want anything other than 56mm. as a matter of fact, bring me a 60mm. I want light. if I want a long range scope, I don't care about size and weight, I want performance. and I'll hump it in there. if you want less weight or glass, Zeiss makes some great scopes in that price range that I don't think NF is trying to take from them.

makes me want to start mowing lawns or shoveling snow or throw pizzas to get money for one. you know its going to be like the other scopes they make, gonna be hard to get a hold of them.

After literally months of consideration on the perfect optic for me, I see this thread. I was torn between the Vortex Viper PST, the Nikon Monarch X and the Zeiss Conquest. Now some might say there is no comparison between the three, but they all have distinct advantages. the Vortex has the best warranty, the Nikon and Zeiss have glass quality with the Zeiss in the lead. And then I see this new fangled Nightforce... Hopefully it is what I've built it up to be in my head. I am waiting impatiently for the review and more impatiently for April. I'm hoping this settles my internal debate.

I am in the market for a new piece of glass and have been patiently waiting for a review of this scope, along with the review for the vortex 6-24x50 HS-t. any word on any of these yet?

The scope I have now is a pre-production model and we're waiting for a production model to be available in April for a review.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts