Nightforce 3.5X15 or 5.5X22

dmgreene

Well I am about to bite the bullet and get a Nightforce. Bear Basin says they are going up in January on there website. For you guys that have owned both, which do you like? I will never be able to shoot over 1000 yards, we just don't have that kind of open land around here. I've been shooting out to 700 with a 10X with no problems but would like a little more power. How much more critical is the head position on the 22x over 15x? I'm planning on getting the NP-R1 reticle. I'm leaning toward the 15x but haven't made up mind yet. Any pros or cons of each scope that you might think of?
Thanks David

I just set one of the 5-22 x56 scopes up and found thatthe eye relief from 8 right through to 22x didn't change much for me. Most scopes I have had to creep up on when the power goes up, but not this one. I also had a adjustable c/piece put on which helps dramatically with head position.

Keeping in mind its only new, but I'm impressed with it !!

Cheers

DUH

I shot with the 5.5 to 22 for years but put the 3.5 to 15 on my long range handgun this fall. Very please with the decision.

The 5.5x15x50 is the way to go. I have one and have no problem shooting out to 1000yds. The 15x is perfect for the 600yd range. If you get the NPR-2 Reticle it ranges at 15X. If you get the 22X it ranges at 22X.
The 15x will be much more user friendly for hunting at the distances you will be hunitng.

I have both and use them a lot, would suggest the 3.5-15x50 for your purpose. By far my favorite of the four options. NPR-2 is also the way to go, NPR-1 is also nice but the PR-2 seems a little quicker to use in the field - simplicity.

Thanks for all the comments. I've noticed that almost everyone has recommened the 50mm. Any drawbacks of the 56mm other than having a slightly higher mounting height and the extra one ounce of weight?

niteforce

I have 2 of both. I would probably buy the 5.5X22. You never know when your going to plan that trip out west , and the extra magnification comes in handy. when out west i keep mine on 22. When i'm at home in ms. i keep it set on 7 power.

Both great scopes. It depends how you are going to use it. Since the reticle is set for the highest magnification, depending on the recoil of your rifle, the 15x may help you spot your own long distance shots better than the 22x. The 22x would be great for a dedicated Prairie dog scope.

As far as the 50mm vs 56mm, you have it right. The lower scope is nice, since the lower a scope is to the bore of a rifle, the less canting of the rifle will affect you (although you should strive to keep it level). Also, its typically easier to get a good cheek weld with a lower scope, although depending on your stock and any adjustment you have there, that might be a mute point. The 56mm will theoretically get you more light, but the 50's that I have are already great in that regard.

Choosing between those scopes, you can't make a 'bad' decision. You are gauranteed to get a great scope.

(btw: mine are both 3.5x15x50's with R1 reticle, so I'm probably biased).

AJ

i was all set to get the 22 now after reading this i have to start all over and rethinkit what is the down side of the 22 over the 15 or is there one

JIM

"Thanks for all the comments. I've noticed that almost everyone has recommened the 50mm. Any drawbacks of the 56mm other than having a slightly higher mounting height and the extra one ounce of weight?"

On the 56mm sometimes the butler creek scope caps wont lock up just perfect, but this happens to the 50mm sometimes also. Pretty much the mounting height is the real concern and this depends alot also on your face structure and the contour of your bbl. The 3.5-15 i have i bought purely for light gathering so i got the 56mm and i love it.

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.