NightForce 12 x 42 on 40 degree base

Hunter66654

I am thinking about mounting a NightForce 12 x 42 scope on a 40 degree base with the hope this will result in the internal adjustment being close to the bottom of the range. Let's say this results in my zero point being 9 clicks from the bottom. If I adjust the scope to shoot 600 yds and forget how many clicks I turned the scope up before I remember to rezero, then I can turn it all the way down and turn up 9 clicks from there to get back to my zero.

Is what I am thinking reasonable and will it damage my scope or affect it's operation. Will it affect my ability to adjust for parallax or focus, etc. Will it damage the scope by suppressing springs or other parts beyond what they are designed to on a permanent basic.

Your thoughts both pro and con will be appreciated.

I was thinking about doing this with my scope, which has a small adjustment range. I was told it was a no-no. Worse optical quality, and can mess up your adjustments. More people will chime in I'm guessing.

my nightforce is on the bottom of the adjustment range and I have no problems. Thats the purpose of the angled bases. Maybe if using a cheap scopes it may be a problem but with nf and luepold and I've done it with some new weavers there has been no problems.

Kinda depends on how your setup is, in a perfect world it might work to use a 40MOA base to set up a 12-42 scope. If everything is straight and true AND you use the top hashes of the reticle for zero it should get you out there a ways but if you want to use the x hairs for zero @ 100 yards and dial in some windage????

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.