Night Vision

BIGJOHNT

I just am setting up a AR with a Beowulf upper. Setting this gun up for pig hunting in Texas. I have seen a few night vision pig set ups. But I really no nothing about night vision only what I have heard. I was think of gen 2 or gen 3 ? I have also heard that some of these scopes have cross hairs that can be used for the day time ? Can they handle the recoil of a 50 cal 300 to 400 grain bullet? I see a lot advertised that they can handle a 308. So that worries me a little bit. I have heard that the clarity in some of the cheaper scopes is so bad that you can't tell the difference between a pig or a cow ? So clarity would be a good thing. I was just hoping that you guys could steer me in the right direction so I can buy the right scope the first time. I would guess my range area would be 100 to 200 yards. Thank you for any help you can give me.

I used to have a D-760. The chassis is made by Dedal, a Russian company, and the photomultipliers are made by US firms, which could be any of 2 or 3. There are a few retailers on line that market them. Mine was Gen 3. Other company/ies advertise a Gen 4, but that's really a myth. They're all priced really closely depending on the true generation and image quality.

Mine was spectacular, and with some minimal amount of starlight, I could ID cattle in a pasture 1500 or more yards from my pasture. It handled an AR-15 and AR-10 just fine as far as recoil. I got to use it one time on a coyote that was going for my sheep and shortly thereafter had to sell it due to financial constraints.

It's the one thing I miss the most that I sold. For a hog hunt, it would have been ideal.

Having seen earlier generations whilst in the military, I can safely say that Gen 3 is the way to go. Anything less is really constraining and is more or less for just goofing around.

Maybe thermal imaging may be better. You can use it during the day. Anyone use any thermal imaging scopes ?

I have a Sightmark Photon set up on a .223 ar and its my pig gun. It's a digital scope so you can use it day or night. It's rated up to 1000g I think. There's some guys running them here on light 308 bolt guns and no problems yet. I've used gen 3 and thermal and its sweet but I just can't justify it.

Scott

Maybe thermal imaging may be better. You can use it during the day. Anyone use any thermal imaging scopes ?

Yes I used (tried to use one) in New Zealand last month deer hunting. I was impressed by the fact that no light or illuminator was required but totally underwhelmed by the constant fiddling needed to get it to work and focus. We were stalking at night so not really an ideal way to test it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.