Night force shv

coastbuck

Look for any opinions on the nightforce shv 5x20x56. How's the glass tracking and zero stop feature. I can't find anything online video wise about the turret and setting up the stop. Anything would be appreciated. This is about the max I have in my budget for a scope.

I have one on my 300WM. Glass is good and so is the tracking. THe ZS is ok. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I have the 4-14 on my 280AI and like it as well. But I prefer the extra magnification of the 5-20x56.

I have the 5-20x56 on my F T/R rifle and tracking is spot on and repeatable. Its been up to 600yd zero, down to 100yd zero and back to 600 several times without any shift in POI. Glass is same as NXS (so I read many times over and having looked behind other competitors with the NXS series, I would agree) which means, good.
The Zero Stop is not as firm as a true stop on the NXS series but it's serviceable. It's possible to go about .5MOA (2 clicks) past if you really crank on it, but if you are paying attention it works fine. Mine is the IL model though I've never used it other than playing with it, which means it was left on and now the battery is dead.

I'd certainly buy another without hesitation if I wanted to stay in that magnification range.

Thanks guys. Wish I had somewhere locally to get my hands on it and test it myself. If you guys have anything else to add i would appreciate it.

I have the 5-20 on a 300 Ultra Mag and it has been perfect. We do lots of shooting and turning knobs and it has tracked perfect. I have not really used the ulluminated reticle but could be nice if your in low light. The scope is really bright in low light situations also. I really could not be happier with it.

Ceder

Hey guys, new here. Also looking for some advice. I just purchased the 5-20 SHV for my Sendero 7MM. I am putting together a .223 Rem. 700 LTR and thought that the 4-14 would fit it well however learned that it doesn't have the Zero Set. What are yalls thoughts on how important it is. This gun would be used for coyotes, pigs, etc.

Hey guys, new here. Also looking for some advice. I just purchased the 5-20 SHV for my Sendero 7MM. I am putting together a .223 Rem. 700 LTR and thought that the 4-14 would fit it well however learned that it doesn't have the Zero Set. What are yalls thoughts on how important it is. This gun would be used for coyotes, pigs, etc.

I guess it depends on how often you plan to dial up or down? There isn't usually a lot of time to be dialing up and down with a capped turret when a coyote is sniffing around. I can't say for sure on pigs as I've never hunted them but I doubt a lot of dialing takes place. The few I've watched are over bait and at a known distance.

For my purposes it's handy as it travels from 100-600yd zeros between matches and range time as well as everything in between so for me, it's convenient to swing on down to 100yd zero quick and easy. My hunting rig does not have ZS and rarely leaves it's setting anyway. If it were a prairie dog or chuck gun where I have established zeros at XYZ yards and the action allows for dialing I would appreciate ZS but for coyotes I just can't see it making much difference since you're not dialing.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.