Night force illumination

bob4

Does any one know if Night force illuminated reticles brightness is adjustable? Really thinking I'd like to try one, but the one reticle I like isn't available in North America. The 4A. Been using Swaro's for the most part and I really like just a tiny dot for illumination and the brightness is adjustable. I'm just not sure how I would like a brightly lit red cross.
Been looking at the 4x14x56.

Well, Big box store had one in stock. And yes they are adjustable. The small illuminated cross my be doable. Will see. Still would like to hear what others like or dislike about this scope.

I have three of the SHV's in 4-14x50 F1 Mil-R and I think they have good glass for the money. The turrets aren't anything special. Feel mushy compared to an NXS or ATACR but I still think they are a good value.

I have a NXS #434( MOAR Illuminated). I love an illuminated reticle. The whole reticle is illuminated which is great if you are going to use it for windage or ranging with it. Other wise I had rather have just the center cross illuminated. It is adjustable, but not quickly. You have to go inside the turret to adjust the factory setting.

I have two NF ATACR scopes....the older one (now discontinued) has a fully adjustable rheostat type illumination adjustment for the reticle. The newer one only has 3 preset illumination levels. For what I use my rifles...I prefer the older version because I can set the illumination level very very low which is what I need. The newer version is waay to bright, even on the lowest setting, making it virtually unusable for the purpose I need it.

What I found strange or I just don't understand why, is the scope I looked at in the store, 4x14x56 Illuminated, every other click of the light knob turned the light off then the next click was obviously the next setting up or down. It had 7 or 9 different settings and I think the lowest was acceptable. Still on the fence with this one.

I guess the reasoning behind it is so you can turn illumination on/off from your desired brightness setting with one click of the dial.

bob4.....I don't know what your intended use will be that would require you to use illumination but if you are going to use it at night any setting that allows you to see the illumination in daylight or in a lighted store will be too bright. I have the illumination level set so low on my old scope that the only time you can tell it's on is at night. I shoot hogs at night at long range and I must keep the illumination extremely low in order to not blind me while sighting on a hog. With my new scope (7-35 x 56 ATACR) I'm learning to shoot without illumination at all. Not easy but it can be done.

bob4.....I don't know what your intended use will be that would require you to use illumination but if you are going to use it at night any setting that allows you to see the illumination in daylight or in a lighted store will be too bright. I have the illumination level set so low on my old scope that the only time you can tell it's on is at night. I shoot hogs at night at long range and I must keep the illumination extremely low in order to not blind me while sighting on a hog. With my new scope (7-35 x 56 ATACR) I'm learning to shoot without illumination at all. Not easy but it can be done.
Where I hunt I am allowed to shoot well after sunset. As light fades I lose site of my reticle. I can see the silhouette just fine and many times see my target just fine in the dusk/light but waiting for a shot may take time . Lighting the cross hairs makes it an ethical shot. Just me, just my way. FWIW I use a very low setting

What I found strange or I just don't understand why, is the scope I looked at in the store, 4x14x56 Illuminated, every other click of the light knob turned the light off then the next click was obviously the next setting up or down. It had 7 or 9 different settings and I think the lowest was acceptable. Still on the fence with this one.
Once you get used to it, you will like it: I know I do.

Put 2 marks the knob.
1 @ low light & @ full light.

Then it's 1 click to off, not 8 or 9.

The idea behind turning the lighted reticle off between each intensity setting is, once you find your favored intensity, you can avoid having to scroll through all the intensity levels each time you use the light. Saves time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.