Nickeled Brass vs Non / Any Differences?

D

Deleted member 107796

I don't have enough personal data to show any real differences and was wondering what folks have found in terms of pressure/velocity differences.

I don't think you'll find many differences in velocity or pressure in new factory loaded brass. It's far better for corrosion resistance etc. HOWEVER, I don't think you'll find many reloaders using nickel plated brass because you'll likely need carbide dies, it flakes after a few loadings, is more brittle, and is usually more expensive. BUT, if you want to buy factory loaded ammo or only load it once or twice to put away for hunting ammo, it's good stuff. At least that's my experience.

I am glad i saved all my Winchester brass before I started reloading. They look sweet with Hornady Vmax and Nosler ballistic tips loaded in them.

As far as case life is concerned I have only used Winchester plated brass and it does not accept as many reloads as most others. The same applies to their regular brass as well.
I have been able to reload Lake City, Hornady and Lapua more then just about any other I have played with. Some of them way more times then you would believe. Remington's RP is decent stuff as well.

In handguns, it peels and harder to size. In rifle, harder on steel dies. Dies are not as hard as ever one thinks.

After many reloads the nickel will no longer spring back after firing and stick to the chamber. Hard ejection in 357 mag. revolver.

Nickel is good for concealed carry ammo.

Sorry, not much help with pressure and velocity.

I reloaded some, just because I had it for free. But only loaded it about 5 times and threw it away before flaking or cracking. Wish it was as good as brass...sure cleans up better.

I had a chrome plated bicycle frame stripped by a bumper plating shop. They did it for free because they wanted the chromium and the nickel in particular. I wonder if it would worth the trouble?

CO-Guy, do not use Nickeled brass in steel sizing dies. only use non-nickeled. the nickel is the same rockwell as the die and will start to stick to the inside of the die and will give you grooves in your brass. only carbide pistol dies will size nickeled cases without a problem. yes the nickeled brass is harder, and you must anneal them a lot more often. I have formerly nickeled brass that I have washed and sized so much that I wore the nickeling off the outside of the bras. I have much better SD's with non-nickeled brass. I have much better luck keeping the chamber smooth and all around better for the gun and the reloading equipment.

I have no experience with nickel plated rifle cartridges, but I loaded nickel plated RP brass in .38 Super at 180+ power factor 20-30 times without trouble. I used Dillon carbide dies in a Dillon 1050 press. Once the nickel wore off to about 50% of the case I'd change them out. I'm not sure why other than they looked "ratty".

Excellent info all, and thanks. I just had some once fired nickeled brass from some premium off the shelf stuff and used it for some ladder tests.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.