Nice QPQ barrel build.

budlight

I was always a stainless steel person and I got to reading about different barrel coatings like in the below link. I wanted to make a 3 gun comp build with a bipod attachment and a sling for carry and free hand shooting without a threaded barrel end. I searched and searched and came across YHM. I gave them a call and asked a few questions. Like is this a dime sized group 100 yard capable barrel. He gave me a great answer! :) We do not brag and claim some 1/2 moa like other companies because of variations no matter how minuscule during the manufacturing and possible straightening of barrels. So you just never know if you are going to get a lucky perfect barrel out of a batch or something not so capable. This is a barrel that I would recommend for a great varminting and target in the 20 inch class. Rifle length gas gun using a heavy chrome auto Bolt and light buffer weight.

So I bought the 20 inch non threaded and made a quality build even down to the silent flat wound buffer spring. 3 pound single stage trigger. 9 twist is perfect for my idea of sub 70 grain because of the good velocity out of 20 inch barrels. Like 62 grain can exceed 3100 fps. I did all the calculation on boat tail 62 and 69 g even 73 grain match type bullets.

QPQ.jpg

Last edited:
I like target crowned barrels over flash hiders and or muzzle brakes. It's really much more pleasant having the noise going away from you. Instead of buying a 16 or 18 inch with a 2 inch brake just buy a 20 and get the extra 300 fps.

At almost 3 pounds the barrel ends up with minimal kick and the extra beef makes this a high round count before it even gets hot. It makes for a real critter getter where you are spitting out a higher volume

SKU:YHM-79-F
Weight: 46.60 Ounces
Barrel Length: 20in

nice build. one day you'll do a FDE Cerakote build. whole 'nother world.

one comment though, on precision builds, my understanding is that conventional wisdom is to not use the handguard rail for optic mounting due to handguard flexing caused by bipod, sling, or barricade loading. might result in POI/POA shifts. That's why folks use a "cantilevered" one-piece scope mounts on AR's, where the integral forward scope ring is out over the handguard, but still anchored to the upper receiver rail.

one comment though, on precision builds, my understanding is that conventional wisdom is to not use the handguard rail for optic mounting due to handguard flexing caused by bipod, sling, or barricade loading. might result in POI/POA shifts. That's why folks use a "cantilevered" one-piece scope mounts on AR's, where the integral forward scope ring is out over the handguard, but still anchored to the upper receiver rail.

I can see some reasoning behind what you said. M-Lok hand guards with the large barrel nut make the upper receiver, barrel, and hand guard like one piece. It can't rotate. Integral one piece scope ring mounts are not made for big scopes. If anything the scope is making the whole thing more ridged.

If you are moving from shooting position to shooting position and your targets are metal pie plate sizes. I can tell you right now that a sling will make you more accurate than no sling and if you con lay down for prone shots a bipod is better than no bipod

I can see some reasoning behind what you said. M-Lok hand guards with the large barrel nut make the upper receiver, barrel, and hand guard like one piece. It can't rotate. Integral one piece scope ring mounts are not made for big scopes. If anything the scope is making the whole thing more ridged.

If you are moving from shooting position to shooting position and your targets are metal pie plate sizes. I can tell you right now that a sling will make you more accurate than no sling and if you con lay down for prone shots a bipod is better than no bipod
and then there was BendGate, and the Bendy Bois. But that was probably twitter hashtag biased influence, now coming to light. It's all good. ;)

I can't get myself to have any 2-piece mount span from receiver to handguard. 1 piece isn't an issue.
I went out to the range again to dial in my two piece scope mounts. 100 yard bench rest.

This scope has 1/8 inch clicks at 100 yards. So from 1 to 3 I just went left to get a better center. Dropping it down with a bunch of clicks for 4 and 5 also caused it to skew left.

target.jpg