Nice Boar

On Friday evening my daughter and I went scouting for a bear, she spotted one that we decided to come back for in the morning. Morning can Cassandra was up before me telling me to get it together so we can get to the ranch after a stop at Safeway and the expos stand we were on our way. It only took about 10minutes to locate him in the morning. We planed our stock, we got to 200 yards, got the Rem 700 25/06 set up on the bipod. Cassandra said dad I'm on him and it's perfect can I take him, the Y in Yes was barely out of my mouth and we saw the big guy go into a tuck and roll.View attachment 207552View attachment 207552View attachment 207679
very is bear! great job to both of you.

So nice to see your hunting plan with your daughter come together. Nice bear. Hopefully you can repeat the experience with your future grand kids and keep our wonderful avocation going through the generations.

On Friday evening my daughter and I went scouting for a bear, she spotted one that we decided to come back for in the morning. Morning can Cassandra was up before me telling me to get it together so we can get to the ranch after a stop at Safeway and the expos stand we were on our way. It only took about 10minutes to locate him in the morning. We planed our stock, we got to 200 yards, got the Rem 700 25/06 set up on the bipod. Cassandra said dad I'm on him and it's perfect can I take him, the Y in Yes was barely out of my mouth and we saw the big guy go into a tuck and roll.View attachment 207552View attachment 207552View attachment 207679
She can mount the head, you can mount the smile, priceless!

Black bears don't eat elk, they eat berries, larvae, etc., but will make a midnight snack out of a dead squirrel if one is left out for them. Brown bears such the grizzle will go after larger creatures. This is a black bear, not a brown bear.
I'll have to disagree with that! I've called in a black bear with a cow elk call and killed it with my bow!!!

I have some questions for you all - was the bear threatening anything and was it in an area that could threaten live stock or people ? As i have killed just about every type of animal on the planet I have a certain feeling of majesty regarding bears - The first Polar Bear I shot in Greenland was threatening the village and the black bear had actually atacked the farmers horses and even though I do feel sad for the poor old thing - Casandra good to see you out with your dad and well done I hope you guys don't take offense with my post - and by the way that is not a "Boar" as MPayne mentioned - My Avetar is a Boar - cheers from down under
As a matter of fact this bear was threatening a number of things. #1 Is Cassandras purse strings, she was afraid she was going to have to fork over some of her hard earned cash to buy some meat. #2 Cassandras mental health was being threatened not knowing where her meat was coming from or what was in it. The list goes on but I'm not going to list all the justifications to hunt anything with my kids or anyone.

Black bears don't eat elk, they eat berries, larvae, etc., but will make a midnight snack out of a dead squirrel if one is left out for them. Brown bears such the grizzle will go after larger creatures. This is a black bear, not a brown bear.
Yes black bears would eat an elk . I can guarantee that they hunt calf's for sure . I've personally found 2 fawns killed by black bears just this year, while training our hounds . The one we heard bawling while we were out with the dogs and walked down in there and that's when we found it .
Black bears will not pass up a meal of any kind especially an easy meal . That's why a lot of states don't allow baiting.
Sorry for the rant and as I said previously nice bear young lady.

Congratulations to your daughter for Taking snd Making the Shot!! Congratulations to you sir for the great job you did coaching your daughter ! Very Well Done!!

I have some questions for you all - was the bear threatening anything and was it in an area that could threaten live stock or people ? As i have killed just about every type of animal on the planet I have a certain feeling of majesty regarding bears - The first Polar Bear I shot in Greenland was threatening the village and the black bear had actually atacked the farmers horses and even though I do feel sad for the poor old thing - Casandra good to see you out with your dad and well done I hope you guys don't take offense with my post - and by the way that is not a "Boar" as MPayne mentioned - My Avetar is a Boar - cheers from down under
Dodos may not be completely extinct in Australia as male bears are boars and females are sows the same as male and female swine.

Anyone who thinks bears won't kill a deer or elk would be wise to never talk to my cattle farming buddies as they wreck havoc on his calves every year.

Just like grizzlies, black bears wreck havoc on fawns and elk and moose calves in the spring. Mature boars are usually the culprits, but any black bear will kill a deer, moose, elk, etc. if the circumstances are right. They will also occasionally attack livestock. While I have personally known ranchers who have lost calves to bears, I have never had it happen to me personally...but our cows would attack any black bear that came into their pasture. Was quite funny to watch...at times we felt sorry for the old bruin as it ran for its life. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.