NF Rings and Bases on Accumark

Bandit19

Anyone have the Nightforce Rings and a single Base on there Accumark?
NF and my Gunsmith said the foot print was the same as the Remington 700 long action and
they would fit. Any thoughts on any other tactical (Robust) mount besides Near and Farrell would also be appriciated. Thanks

Anyone have the Nightforce Rings and a single Base on there Accumark?
NF and my Gunsmith said the foot print was the same as the Remington 700 long action and
they would fit. Any thoughts on any other tactical (Robust) mount besides Near and Farrell would also be appriciated. Thanks

Wish I had a picture to show you with a NF Rem 700 base and a EGW REm 700 base....but my results with a EGW and NF base that would supposedly work on a Weatherby was a waste of time/effort/money.

Have had excellent results on with Farrel and Near products though. About your best bet for the Wby MKV action.

Here's a pic of what right looks right:)

930961517_gA5Ky-L.jpg

Autorotate,

Thanks that is great information. Right now I have the Talley rings and bases made for Weatherby bought from Weatherby for Mark V magnums.
What is strange is that I called Nightforce and asked about this and the guy told me a Remy 700 long action would fit. My gunsmith told me the same thing.
I am going to hold off and get the Near mfg. Rings and Bases which if I did'nt get them I don"t think I would ever be 100% satisfied. Thanks again!

Bandit19...good call on the Near base....you'll be 100% satisfied with his product.

Weatherby actions typically have very good exterior dimension tolerances...but there can be some variation. If you should decide to skim bed your base, here's a good article. It might seem intimidating the first time, but after the first one, you'll know you've done everything you could've to ensured a 100$ stress free optic mounting system.

MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.

Last edited:
Just echoing what the others have said; the Weatherby Accumark action is NOT the same as the Remington 700 action. NF told me the same thing - I learned the hard way. I ended up getting a Near Mfg. base that I bedded to my Accumark action.

I was told the same thing. I believe the holes line up the same but there is something different about them and I would really like to know what the difference is. I think I read once that the top of the Rem. receiver has a different taper than does the Weatherby.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two receivers and why a base for a Remington, even though it will screw to the top of the receiver, won't work.

The "height" as viewed from the side of the action is different from the front of the ejection port as to rear. As you stated, hole spacing is same same...allowing you to physically mount it....but with so much stress, your results will be less than ideal. This was my experience...others may be different.

Just my opinion...the Weatherby's MKV actions have very good exterior dimensional tolerances/consistency as compared to a Rem 700 actions. I shoot a Rem 700P 338 Norma, and it's a straight shooting rifle....just saying.

That said, I still believe in skim bedding a base to the action is a good measure to ensure you extract the most from your rifle....for the same reasons most bed their rifles.

Keep it fun and go shoot at long range!gun)

I have a 338 edge built on a mkv and have the NF rail on my gun. I have had absolutely no problems with it. My gun holds it zero fine.

What are some of the bads things that will happen if you mount a Rem 700 base to a MkV action???

The bad things that can happen from a stress ridden optic environment would be, marring of your scope finish, shift in POI, and inconsistent accuracy and precision. At the far extreme end of the spectrum you could damage the internal mechanics of your optic, and we call imagine how much excitement a optic coming free/loose during the recoil impulse of a hard kicking rifle might yield:)

The two bases I attempted to use didn't match the contour of the action, and the previous vertical dimension I posted of. When mounted it put stress in the optic as indicated by a set of Kokepelli scope mounting bars.

I'm not that good of a shooter, so I need all variables to the accuracy/precision equation nailed down for me to have a chance at long range.

You may have a different experience, that was mine.

Perhaps a phone call to Farrell or Near is in order....maybe ask the question why the reason for producing a base for a MKV if a 700 will work?

Good luck!

Autorotate,

Thanks for the heads up on the base issues with the Mark V. I have a Jap model too and had looked at just ordering the NF M700 base. Glad I didn't. I wonder if the USA mfg. actions are slightly different now?

After reading this thread I had to go look at my 338-378 weatherby cause I put an EGW 20 moa base on it that I took off of one of my 700's, the base fit perfectly when I mounted it (I was also told the remmy base will fit weatherby) anyway it fits like a glove and I dont plan on replacing it, I did read the link about bedding it to the recv. and think I will do that, it makes good sense and might relieve some of the pressure on the mounting screws for the recoil but thats all I plan on doing

There are folks that have had good luck with 700 bases on MKvs....so I don't know if my experience should make someone fix something that isn't broke on their rifle. The hole spacing is the same on the MKVs and 700s I have. Either way, I think the bedding deal would assist with anyones application, and remove one more variable.

Have a higher recoiling MKV that has a Near MKV base that was attached with the four factory screws, and rattled loose twice on me, despite torquing the hardware to 18 inch lbs in a methodical fashion. Skim bedded it...hasn't budged since...and decided then it would just be something I do on all my rifles just to be safe.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.