NF NX8 vs Leupold VX6

I have had both scopes mentioned and a lot of other stuff in the price range. The VX6HD 4-24 is big, bright and clear, glass is on par or a bit better than the NX8. The NX8's turrets are better, it tracks better, and has better reticle options than the VX6HD. The NX8 gets the durability nod too, and to me that's the most important thing of all. I have broken three Leupolds, two VX6's, all my fault, not Leupold's. I'm hard on stuff, and I expect it to be able to take it at the price point we are talking about. I've never broken a Nightforce regardless of use and abuse. My parts pile is near complete to head off to Mr. Lane for a 300 PRC build and I'm sending an NX8 2.5-20 F2 to top it off. All that being said, if Schmidt and Bender could figure out how to get rid of the barnacle they call an illumination control on the side of the Exos 3-21, I'd be going that direction.
I've broken 2 nightforce nxs. Never say never

It's going to be on a custom from Dallas lane. The rifle wil primarily be my go to hunting rifle but I want to start taking some long range shooting classes too. Someday I want to be like the rest of you and bang steel at 1k yards but I don't have that skill or the equipment to do that right now. The 4x32 nightforce would allow me to reach out at that distance but the 32x would probably never be used in The field. I'm not someone that uses my rifle scope as a spotting scope when chasing critters in the mountains
I have the 4-16 ATACR SFP and have never found the top end lacking. Would 20x be nice? Sure, but 16 is certainly sufficient.

It's going to be on a custom from Dallas lane. The rifle wil primarily be my go to hunting rifle but I want to start taking some long range shooting classes too. Someday I want to be like the rest of you and bang steel at 1k yards but I don't have that skill or the equipment to do that right now. The 4x32 nightforce would allow me to reach out at that distance but the 32x would probably never be used in The field. I'm not someone that uses my rifle scope as a spotting scope when chasing critters in the mountains
I think you want the NF and are looking for us to agree with you. I might be wrong but that's what I see. I say go for it. You can always NOT turn the mag up if not needed. You can't turn the mag up if it's not there. The NF goes to 4x which is not bad at all for hunting. Much better than 5-6 like many of the scopes with higher mag. I personally think the nx8 is hard to beat for what you get.

How do you make corrections for wind and elevation?

If you dial both, carry on.

If you hold wind, I'd hate to need to be at 24 or 32x for my wind holds to be accurate. For paper, it's great. For game or steel, I really appreciate being able to spot my own impacts and misses.

If you have a 20lb, braked 6mm, no worries. If you have a hunting weight rifle in a big game chambering, I need to be able to run 6-8x to see my shots land at 400-600. 15x gets me to 1000+ easily, though a bit more doesn't hurt at that distance. I've never shot something with 32x, but I've shot 20-24x and can't imagine a hunting shot where more would be useful.

If you were building a 28 nosler because you have been successfully shooting deer at 1k yards and with your .280AI but wanted more energy for elk at 1200+, maybe the argument for that much magnification is a stronger one. But a .308 (or really any short action standard bolt face chambering) hunting rifle just doesn't (for me) warrant that much magnification, especially in a SFP scope where I can't back it off from max and still have the reticle be correct. In a FFP scope, more magnification doesn't hurt anything other than added weight and cost (to get equivalent optical performance).

This advice may be worth just what you paid for it.

Eric

How do you make corrections for wind and elevation?

If you dial both, carry on.

If you hold wind, I'd hate to need to be at 24 or 32x for my wind holds to be accurate. For paper, it's great. For game or steel, I really appreciate being able to spot my own impacts and misses.

If you have a 20lb, braked 6mm, no worries. If you have a hunting weight rifle in a big game chambering, I need to be able to run 6-8x to see my shots land at 400-600. 15x gets me to 1000+ easily, though a bit more doesn't hurt at that distance. I've never shot something with 32x, but I've shot 20-24x and can't imagine a hunting shot where more would be useful.

If you were building a 28 nosler because you have been successfully shooting deer at 1k yards and with your .280AI but wanted more energy for elk at 1200+, maybe the argument for that much magnification is a stronger one. But a .308 (or really any short action standard bolt face chambering) hunting rifle just doesn't (for me) warrant that much magnification, especially in a SFP scope where I can't back it off from max and still have the reticle be correct. In a FFP scope, more magnification doesn't hurt anything other than added weight and cost (to get equivalent optical performance).

This advice may be worth just what you paid for it.

Eric
You don't need to be at 24 or 32 to hold for wind. You just need to know the conversion for wind at the power setting you are on. It's not hard to do but it opens up room for error if you are not well versed in using your SFP for holds.

KSB209, I have experience with both NF and Leupold scopes. most all high end stuff for this place. I find that the Leupold VX line, Mark, and the HD lines are wonderful scopes and do everything I have and my clients have ever asked of scopes. the NF scopes are tanks and have survived falls down mountains they had no expectation of surviving.
either one will make your rifle be the best you will ever shoot. I have noticed the HD line has very bright glass and will help in the last part of the day shooting and it will give you a bit better spotting in early morning light.

If your primary use is hunting inside of 500 yards I'd suggest looking at the NF 2.5-20 rather than the 4-32. A wider FOV (2.5x vs 4x) will come in handier for hunting application than the top end power difference. Just my $.02
Totally agree… will have more than enough magnification. Splitting hairs with optic quality. Not worth the mental strain 😊

You don't need to be at 24 or 32 to hold for wind. You just need to know the conversion for wind at the power setting you are on. It's not hard to do but it opens up room for error if you are not well versed in using your SFP for holds.
You're right, of course, I've done that as well. I have just found that the fewer things I have in my mental checklist, the better I shoot. If I have a "set at exactly 16 power and then triple the reticle value" step in my pre-shot routine, I'll get that part right. But I struggle to clear that out when it's time to focus 100% on sight picture and trigger press.

For me, it's a little like a zero stop. Can you dial down, count revolutions, and verify you're on the correct rotation if you're not sure? Absolutely. Is it something that can lead to a mistake in the heat of the moment? Yes. Is it good for your concentration to have the little voice in the back of your head asking if you are sure you checked that as you're beginning your trigger press? Not for me.

Last edited:
You guys are great and I value all your fees back. I originally was going to get the NX8 in the 2-20x and I've been trying to convince myself that one days I might "need" the extra magnification of the 4x32 but I don't think I ever will really need it. So I think I just need to stick with my original plan of the 2x20.
Thanks for all the input I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience with me. This board / forum is great!

now I have to decide which rings to get. This hobby is fun, educational, and expensive!

Last edited:
I have mounted both of those scopes on a few rifles in the last year and have to agree with most people here, they may be a bit much. The NX8 2.5-20 SFP would maybe be perfect for a .308 500 yrd max hunting, even much farther for practice. (I think as well you want a Nightforce). Being able to spot hits in hunting is very important for both spotter and hunting solo, the 4-32 NX8 is to much maybe on the top end. My only problems with the NX8 2.5-20 has been mounting on long actions, just not much room on the main tube, and still not light! Pic rails and short actions prefered! You are good there maybe. The scope I have mounted the most of late has been the VX6 HD 3-18x50. That may be the hidden gem in the bunch. Great glass and clarity, generous all the way around for weight and ergonomics. I do not own one as of yet but have been very impressed. That said I bought the March 2.5-25x52 about 8 months ago sight unseen. This sits on my main LR hunting rifle and I have been super stoked on that scope!! Better than both or all the scopes mentioned in my opinion. I would say reticle preference is super important. I like the Nightforce reticle the best, it comes down to what you like the best. Just food for thought, Best of luck Jason

Sorry fellas I thought my post sent out this morning, Just got home from work and fired up and there she goes. Always late to the party but best of luck and best wishes to all!! Jason

Looking for a scope to mount on my new 308. I have never owned a Nightforce and have been looking at the NX8 4-32 SFP and like the ability to zoom out to 32x. I have also been considering the leupold VX-6 4-24 in SFP as well. My budget is around $2000-$2500 so both of these scopes fit in my price range. I've also considered the March but since there are no dealers around me and I have not been able to look through it I don't think I want to go this route even though the reviews seem to be very positive. So.....what can you tell me about the differences in the NX8 and the VX-6? I need to make a decision in the next few weeks. My eyes like both but I'm leaning towards the NX8 just because of the 32x power. I'm probably never really going to need that much power but having it available is a nice thought. My shooting is going to be sub 500 yards on game (probably 300-400 yards max realistically) so the 24x power of the leupold is plenty. Just looking for some insight for you guys. I have a few Leupold scopes and never had an issue with them and never owned a Nightforce before but I know their reputation is pretty stellar too.
I own both scopes and find that my Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 is clearer (for my eyes), lighter and exceptionally easy to dial the turrets. For your described shooting distance, I believe the Leupold is the better choice. Both scopes are outstanding. The VX-6HD comes with flip up aluminum scope covers the are the best on the market.