NF ATACR vs. BEAST vs. NXS Which is better?

DougDownRange

Looking to get a new NF. I'm looking at the new focal plane's, does anyone have opinions on them or is it even worth paying the extra money vs. sticking with a NXS??

Thanks,

Doug

Looking to get a new NF. I'm looking at the new focal plane's, does anyone have opinions on them or is it even worth paying the extra money vs. sticking with a NXS??

Thanks,

Doug

Maximizing use of elevation = ATACR
Maximizing use of measurements on any magnification = Beast
Otherwise, the NXS is hard to beat

ATACR has two distinct advantages over the NXS. Better glass, especially if you hunt or shoot in low light conditions and greater elevation adjustment. They advertise 120moa but mine have over 130moa. If most of your shooting is done in good daylight and you don't need an extra 30 moa, the NXS will serve just as well. Gary

Look at your application and choose what you need. after that go by price.
The beast is the best, followed by the ATACR, then the bargain basement NXS :rolleyes:

If you don't need a BEAST then it's crazy to buy one. But it does offer more.

What is the focal point thing though? I saw it advertised but I don't really understand why it is better?? Could someone explain this new feature?

With FFP, the reticle sub-tensions (MOA or MIL harsh marks) will be accurate at all magnifications in the range. So the reticle grows and shrinks along with the image as you adjust the magnification, staying the same in relation to each other.

With SFP, the reticle sub-tensions change in value as the image shrinks and grows with magnification. In other words, the reticle appears to stay the same size and only the image changes size. This means that the sub-tensions will only be true and accurate at one magnification.

Hope that makes sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.