NF ATACR 7-35 X 56 Reticle too bright

Brett Bracken

I am brand new here and this is my first post; so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.
Anyway...I am using my long range set up to shoot hogs at night. I have a place from which I can shoot off my porch out to 850 yds down a sender on which I have lighted bait holes. The scope that I am using is the NF ATACR 7-35 X 56 with illuminated reticle. It is a digital reticle and only has preset illumination settings that you click to select. The lights that I have set up over my bait stations are not very bright (solar powered) so I need the reticle on my scope to be set on the lowest setting so that it doesn't blind me. The problem I'm having with this scope is that when I have the illumination set on the lowest setting it is still too bright.....especially on dark colored hogs. All I can see is the reticle but can't see the hogs. I talked to a NF rep on the phone and was told there was no way to adjust if further. I thought I would see if there was anyone on this site that might have a suggestion on how to override it somehow. My brother suggested leaving the reticle turned on for while to run the battery down which I have not tried yet; but I'm not sure that would really be a practical solution.
Btw...I have looked into thermal optics but it does not appear that there are any that are useable out to that distance....850+ yds. Not to mention I don't want to spend that kind of money.
Thanks....I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Brett

Not much you can do except sell it to me for 40% of what you paid for it and buy something else .

Appreciate the comments gentlemen. Selling at a discount is not and option..LOL. And yes I have it on the green setting right now which helps some but still waay too bright.

Just a wild idea, but have you tried having a small light (battery powered lantern maybe?) set up to the side of the objective to provide a bit of light into the scope and shot with the reticle off? It might be tough with a black reticle and dark colored hogs but it could be better then being overwhelmed by the reticle. Might be worth playing around with anyway. Good luck, hope you find a solution.

Just a wild idea, but have you tried having a small light (battery powered lantern maybe?) set up to the side of the objective to provide a bit of light into the scope and shot with the reticle off? It might be tough with a black reticle and dark colored hogs but it could be better then being overwhelmed by the reticle. Might be worth playing around with anyway. Good luck, hope you find a solution.
Hmmm......I'll have to give that a try. Appreciate the tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.