NF ATACR 7-35 X 56 Reticle too bright

Brett Bracken

I am brand new here and this is my first post; so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.
Anyway...I am using my long range set up to shoot hogs at night. I have a place from which I can shoot off my porch out to 850 yds down a sender on which I have lighted bait holes. The scope that I am using is the NF ATACR 7-35 X 56 with illuminated reticle. It is a digital reticle and only has preset illumination settings that you click to select. The lights that I have set up over my bait stations are not very bright (solar powered) so I need the reticle on my scope to be set on the lowest setting so that it doesn't blind me. The problem I'm having with this scope is that when I have the illumination set on the lowest setting it is still too bright.....especially on dark colored hogs. All I can see is the reticle but can't see the hogs. I talked to a NF rep on the phone and was told there was no way to adjust if further. I thought I would see if there was anyone on this site that might have a suggestion on how to override it somehow. My brother suggested leaving the reticle turned on for while to run the battery down which I have not tried yet; but I'm not sure that would really be a practical solution.
Btw...I have looked into thermal optics but it does not appear that there are any that are useable out to that distance....850+ yds. Not to mention I don't want to spend that kind of money.
Thanks....I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Brett

WeiserBucks

Not much you can do except sell it to me for 40% of what you paid for it and buy something else .

fllefty

Did you try it with the green setting. The green is less intense..

Brett Bracken

Appreciate the comments gentlemen. Selling at a discount is not and option..LOL. And yes I have it on the green setting right now which helps some but still waay too bright.

Ckleeves

Just a wild idea, but have you tried having a small light (battery powered lantern maybe?) set up to the side of the objective to provide a bit of light into the scope and shot with the reticle off? It might be tough with a black reticle and dark colored hogs but it could be better then being overwhelmed by the reticle. Might be worth playing around with anyway. Good luck, hope you find a solution.

Brett Bracken

Just a wild idea, but have you tried having a small light (battery powered lantern maybe?) set up to the side of the objective to provide a bit of light into the scope and shot with the reticle off? It might be tough with a black reticle and dark colored hogs but it could be better then being overwhelmed by the reticle. Might be worth playing around with anyway. Good luck, hope you find a solution.
Hmmm......I'll have to give that a try. Appreciate the tip.

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce