Next project : 30 Creedmoor!!! (30-28 Nosler hybrid)

I would reload some more 86gr and and 86.3gr and run them again and just recheck the 86.3, that may be your node right there. 86.3gr has a lot less vertical than any of the other loads, just check it again and then run some seating depth test on it to tighten it up. The way I read it 86.6gr the node is opening back up, look at the vertical.

As much as I like your do all thinking! I have to agree with some other smarter than me smiths. Your not doing much that the 30 nosler or 30-28nosler isn't doing. Yea you saved yourself the cost of the reamer by using a 300wsm and running it deeper. But seriously no one is going to jump on a band wagon and build anything like that or care about it. You aren't gaining anything by improving the capacity or reducing the capacity to achieve the same thing. So it's just a long way around to get the same results. If someone wants to run that bullet at those velocities there are other cases that take no forming to do it. Just my opinion. I like your train of thought of using other reamers is ok but only for you.

As much as I like your do all thinking! I have to agree with some other smarter than me smiths. Your not doing much that the 30 nosler or 30-28nosler isn't doing. Yea you saved yourself the cost of the reamer by using a 300wsm and running it deeper. But seriously no one is going to jump on a band wagon and build anything like that or care about it. You aren't gaining anything by improving the capacity or reducing the capacity to achieve the same thing. So it's just a long way around to get the same results. If someone wants to run that bullet at those velocities there are other cases that take no forming to do it. Just my opinion. I like your train of thought of using other reamers is ok but only for you.
Don't care if anyone jumps on the bandwagon or not. I like to tinker and post for those that like it too. The goal was to get to the 3100+ node without pressure signs per the issue with the 30-28. I was able to achieve that with great accuracy, so that is a win in my book. Still haven't found the max pressure with adg brass. There are always other factory cartridges that run with wildcats, but I still like trying them.

I would reload some more 86gr and and 86.3gr and run them again and just recheck the 86.3, that may be your node right there. 86.3gr has a lot less vertical than any of the other loads, just check it again and then run some seating depth test on it to tighten it up. The way I read it 86.6gr the node is opening back up, look at the vertical.
The 86.6 group was lower than both the 86.3 and 86.9, thus a node. Seating depth should fix the shape

The 86.6 group was lower than both the 86.3 and 86.9, thus a node. Seating depth should fix the shape
No problem, but the 86.3 looked like it had way less vertical in the group to me, it must be an optical illusion in the posted photo though. When i look for a node I look for the least amount of vertical dispersion, the horizontal I can usually tighten up with seating depth, and primers. I'll keep watching, I have a 30-28 nosler i should be finished putting together in a few weeks then I'll be doing the same thing.

No problem, but the 86.3 looked like it had way less vertical in the group to me, it must be an optical illusion in the posted photo though. When i look for a node I look for the least amount of vertical dispersion, the horizontal I can usually tighten up with seating depth, and primers. I'll keep watching, I have a 30-28 nosler i should be finished putting together in a few weeks then I'll be doing the same thing.
True. I always thought and have looked for the group at the top or bottom of the sine. I might load them all up again and see. I've shot 86 a few times and it wasn't a node. I'll post the next session

You want to load for the middle of the sine, that way if you have little temp sensitivity in powder or your actual standard deviation in loads you are in the middle whether the deviation in load is on the high side or load side there is less chance of it effecting your group. At the top or bottom of a sine the vertical dispersion in the group is opening up,( a barrel whips up and down in a sine not side to side). In the long range game small vertical is king, you are always going to have some horizontal variances due to wind and we do our best to control them but if we can achieve very little vertical in our group, through our given load, then we are taking one more factor out of the equation that we have to worry about, as long as we know the distance, have our dope and dial, then calling wind is the most of our worries.

I can't wait to get mine up and running, it really is a great cartridge. I have a couple 28 Noshers and love them,they absolutely hammer game with the 195's and shoot very tight groups.

Got out today and tested seating depth a little more at 400. Sighter was top left. Then fired 3 at another target with the magnetospeed attached to see my speed. Finally got to the 3 groups of 3. wind came up a bit on the final load. I throated it to be on the lands at 3.650" so I'll try some seated at 3.630, 40 and 50. Cases were tight fitting so I'll use my ring die I made and see if it affects accuracy.

EFF58FC0-3B1D-4627-AC4C-3275AFA6E8FF.jpeg
C4952A85-43AB-44F7-888A-A6AA88B5DAAB.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.