Next build : tikka vs savage storm

tonechaser88

I'm going to build a lightweight 6.5 wsm off of either a tikka action or the new savage storm action(the skeltized). I've shot savages for years and I have an xlr chassis that I could swap the barreled action into which makes it an attractive platform to build off of, however all I see is how awesome tikkas are. I know the support for the aftermarket tikka is amazing especially for light carbon fiber stocks. Curious if anyone has opinions of the new light savage action vs the tikka.

If you are going to build in a caliber that Tikka does not offer go with the savage. Savage=easy barrel swap.

I've never read about anyone regretting a tikka purchase, at least on this planet. But as as Savage owner who just switched to a SAUM I can say 2 things, positive and negative.

1. The short action detachable mag in WSM size feeds really really well. I have to take people's word for it that it's a problem in other actions. It's better than when it was a creedmoor in the 308 mag.

2. You'll be theoretically cramped. On one hand people will say The WSM with a 147 for instance is going to be "neutered" and there'll be a lot of bomb throwing on here about sacrificing powder space to bullet length for those long bullets. On the other hand: Maybe you don't care like me. I'm totally okay with it. I'm getting pressure just before compression, even with a 90 thou jump. I think the savage short action is great for this class/length but if I heard right the tikka is also a little long for a short caliber.

Of course if you do it in a tikka you can just change out parts to make it a long action if you're dissatisfied.

I assume you're thinking 6.5x300 wsm not a 6.5x7mm?

Yeah it's a 6.5-300 wsm. I'm going to be running patriot valley arms 122 Cayuga through it out of a 17" cf barrel (set up for suppressor) . I think I've settled on the savage . I have the barrel nut wrench and I'm super familiar with the platform and I can swap it from my Boyd's to the XLR or use the original stick if I can reinforce the fore end. DNZ one piece scope mount.

I debated the same for a bit. I used a savage action because I had one and being able to swap the bolt head saved some money in buying a mag bolt in the tikka.

my savage shoots great so no complaints there. That said, it is no where near as smooth as my tikka and is heavier even though the tikka is a long action (one length for all). Maybe the storm will be lighter and smoother but really a fan of tikka actions.

I debated the same for a bit. I used a savage action because I had one and being able to swap the bolt head saved some money in buying a mag bolt in the tikka.

my savage shoots great so no complaints there. That said, it is no where near as smooth as my tikka and is heavier even though the tikka is a long action (one length for all). Maybe the storm will be lighter and smoother but really a fan of tikka actions.
I thought the bolt head thing was overrated until I swapped mine. Standard for a magnum PTG. It's a nice trick. It's not free but it feels like cheating anyway.

There are prefits for Tikka, but you would still need to check headspace. If the headspace is wrong, it is what it is. With Savage you can set the headspace with just your barrel nut wrench and action wrench.

You can use a barrel nut with a Tikka, PVA along with other companies offer this option with profit barrels. You'll need a barrel vise and action wrench to remove the original barrel from a Tikka, and a barrel nut and action wrench to install the new barrel.