Next build! Getting there, 6mm something??

I have a 6CM built on a Rem 40X LH action. 7 ½" twist and is an absolute hammer. It rides in an AG Privateer stock. 20" threaded barrel & SilencerCo Omega. I couldn't be more pleased.

+ 1 on the 6mm Rem. I have 2 and will always have at least one in my stable. Both of mine are fast twist, 1-7 ½ '' and will handle about any longer bullets I want to push. The only downside to the 6mm Remington is the lack of availability of ammo in many places. Notwithstanding this issue, the 6mm Rem will run with, or outrun any of the popular 6mm cartridges and I consider it a ballistic twin to the 6mm CM.

Don't overlook the 6mm Rem in a 1:10 barrel. Run the numbers and you'll find it at or near the top in velocity. I'm not knocking the competition, but there's something to be said for rockin' it old school and not giving up any performance.
Oh yea I actually thought about 6mm ai but already have a lifetime of brass in creed

Seeing as you have components and may hunt with it I would opt 6 creedmoor. When I had the same debate I went 6x47 Lapua since I already had 1000 cases for my 6.5x47 and the brass is about impossible to kill. I wanted some weight in this rifle due to it being more of a play toy so I have a 22" Bartlein mtu contour that kampfeld did deep spiral flutes on.

Absolute tack drivers with a 105 hybrid at 2990 fps.
IMG_0658.jpeg

6CM. Even with the 10 twist run a 70HH and you'll slay whitetails on top of all the varmint bullets you can push.

I have two 6BRs, love them for what they are, but outside the square range there's no replacement for velocity. if you had an 8 twist I'd be open to the BR for the 100+gn bullets, but with a 10 twist nah.

Last edited:
6 Rem AI, 26" barrel, 95g Nosler s at 3500-3550 is real world accuracy node. In a 10T, 26" with zero freebore, I shot the 70g Nosler at 3950 into bug hole groups, and in a Shilen 14T, 26", off the same reamer, the 70's were at 4150 fps. The 70g Nosler ballistic tip is a deer bullet, make no mistake about it.

Std 6 Rem, 95g nosler at 3250 is real world, 60g Sierra at 4000 fps, both shooting tiny groups of less than 3/8".

6 Rem = 243 AI in capacity

6 creed = 22/250 AI in capacity, in fact if you stand them side by side, they are hard to tell apart until you look at the shoulder angle, as the edge of the shoulder height is darn near identical. So, the 6 creed would equal the 6-22/250 AI in capacity, almost.

You have to stomp the heck out of a 6 Creed to get the speed that the 243 AI does with little effort.

For shooting varmints, a .020 freebore 6x47 Lapua shoots the 70g at 3700 into bug holes, and the 6 XC does the same, I have both reamers.

For a speed demon with superb accuracy, both the 6 Rem AI and the 6/284 will get the job done. Since brass for both of these is difficult to get, a 6 Creed is an easy button and will get a tad bit more speed than the 6x47 and the 6 XC.

If dies were plentiful, I would be running a 6 SLR right now, which is a 243 that has been run through the 6 SLR Full-length sizer, pushing back the shoulder making a 30* shoulder angle, and ending up with a long neck. Good 243 brass is plentiful.

Folks are looking for something new and cool. I have had a number of custom 243 Winchesters with Hart barrels, every one of them shot 1/4-3/8" groups with 60-85g bullets for varmints. The 243 Win is famous with H1000 with the 105-108 class bullets extending barrel life with amazing accuracy. Old school 95g Partitions and 100g Hornady are Proven killers on hogs and deer in our family, and the New Berger 105g Hunting bullet is worth building a rifle around in how well it penetrates deer/hogs from all angles.

Great to have lots of choices.

PS. I am not a fan of short barrels unless it is the second or third chamber off of the barrel blank.

Last edited:
6 Rem AI, 26" barrel, 95g Nosler s at 3500-3550 is real world accuracy node. In a 10T, 26" with zero freebore, I shot the 70g Nosler at 3950 into bug hole groups, and in a Shilen 14T, 26", off the same reamer, the 70's were at 4150 fps. The 70g Nosler ballistic tip is a deer bullet, make no mistake about it.

Std 6 Rem, 95g nosler at 3250 is real world, 60g Sierra at 4000 fps, both shooting tiny groups of less than 3/8".

6 Rem = 243 AI in capacity

6 creed = 22/250 AI in capacity, in fact if you stand them side by side, they are hard to tell apart until you look at the shoulder angle, as the edge of the shoulder height is darn near identical. So, the 6 creed would equal the 6-22/250 AI in capacity, almost.

You have to stomp the heck out of a 6 Creed to get the speed that the 243 AI does with little effort.

For shooting varmints, a .020 freebore 6x47 Lapua shoots the 70g at 3700 into bug holes, and the 6 XC does the same, I have both reamers.

For a speed demon with superb accuracy, both the 6 Rem AI and the 6/284 will get the job done. Since brass for both of these is difficult to get, a 6 Creed is an easy button and will get a tad bit more speed than the 6x47 and the 6 XC.

If dies were plentiful, I would be running a 6 SLR right now, which is a 243 that has been run through the 6 SLR Full-length sizer, pushing back the shoulder making a 30* shoulder angle, and ending up with a long neck. Good 243 brass is plentiful.

Folks are looking for something new and cool. I have had a number of custom 243 Winchesters with Hart barrels, every one of them shot 1/4-3/8" groups with 60-85g bullets for varmints. The 243 Win is famous with H1000 with the 105-108 class bullets extending barrel life with amazing accuracy. Old school 95g Partitions and 100g Hornady are Proven killers on hogs and deer in our family, and the New Berger 105g Hunting bullet is worth building a rifle around in how well it penetrates deer/hogs from all angles.

Great to have lots of choices.

PS. I am not a fan of short barrels unless it is the second or third chamber off of the barrel blank.
Building a 243 AI right now. Got no idea what I'm getting into, but it sure seems like it's gonna be fun!

I have never hunted with a 6mm in my past. But seeing and hearing the success others are having, I'm currently building 2 6mm hunting setups. #1 is a 22" 6gt 170fb chambered Bartlein #13 carbon. It'll be on a bat bumblebee. Will likely by pushing 105 hybrids or 108 elite hunters as fast I can with H4350/rl16. The other(waiting on reamer) is a 24" 7.5tw hawkhill rem varm thats going to be cut with a 6mm Saum with long freebore to set 115 dtac nose ringed bullets out the neck a ways. I'm expecting 3300+ mv with the 315g7, low recoil, will be a dandy long range hunting bullet. Guys over on rokslide are running the 6UM(Saum improved) which they are getting 3300+ from 20/22" barrels. They have take elk out to near 1k yards with the lil 115gr bullet, very effectively this far. Testing will be done on my end with several bullets for terminal performance.

HighDrum, I highly encourage you to get a 105g Berger Hybrid, they are incredible on deer.
I have a few thousand of those well. I will not be using them in the 6saum as the 7.5tw and 3400+ fps would likely tear them apart. I wish I could find some 95gr tipped matchkings for the gt. Those tmk are hell on critters and the jacket holds up pretty well to high rpm.