News question. How to tell if a scope has a matching mil/mil or moa/moa reticle,adjustment

Jbuscher69

Trying to get into some long range coyote hunting and have been looking at scopes. How do you tell if you get a scope if it has a moa reticle that the turrets are moa also. So that I don't end up getting a mil/moa or moa/mil scope. I have seen where an moa scope says the adjustment is 1/4 moa per click. Does that mean it's moa/moa

Read the data sheet that comes with the scope and it will tell you what reticle it has and whether the adjustments are in MOA or Mils.

If you're buying one second hand that doesn't have all of the original documentation get the model and serial numbers off of it and call the manufacturers.

There are some MOA adjustment scopes that have for example mil dot reticles and not all mil dot reticles are the same so you really need to get all the facts before buying.

I would not buy a scope period without being able to get all the details before buying.

So if I'm buying a scope online what exactly do I need to look for. If it says mil dot reticle then when I look at the specs and all it says is 1/4 moa adjustment would that mean it's a mil/moa scope. If it was mil/mil would it say mil dot reticle and then adjustments would be say 1/8 mil? I know how to tell what the reticle is. Just trying to figure out how to tell what the adjustments are so I know they match and I'm assuming its in the specs where it says adjustment. whatever it says the adjustments are is what it is correct?

So if I'm buying a scope online what exactly do I need to look for. If it says mil dot reticle then when I look at the specs and all it says is 1/4 moa adjustment would that mean it's a mil/moa scope. If it was mil/mil would it say mil dot reticle and then adjustments would be say 1/8 mil? I know how to tell what the reticle is. Just trying to figure out how to tell what the adjustments are so I know they match and I'm assuming its in the specs where it says adjustment. whatever it says the adjustments are is what it is correct?
Look at both windage and elevation adjustments.

All the scopes I know of will have the same for both windage and elevation as far as dialing dope.

When people talk about mil/mil moa/moa as far as I know they are talking about the reticles. There are many, many different reticles some of which will have different ways of compensating for windage and elevation without dialing, some of which may have MOA for elevation and Mils for windage.

I like fairly simple reticles, Mil dot, the IOR Valdada MP8, or Leupold Boone and Crockett and that's about it.

Stick to what makes sense to you and in most cases you're best off sticking with one single manufacturer and the same reticle in all of them. If you're just starting out keep it simple.

It can get very confusing and while some of them really look cool on paper they can be very confusing in practice.

One of these days I'll get smart and simplify my life and replace everything but my rimfire scopes with the VX6 and with the B&C reticles.

I'm fairly certain they are talking about the reticle matching your adjustment knobs. So that say if your adjustments are moa and reticle is Mil dot and your trying to range something you don't have to do the formula to adjust them. Cause 1 mil is not moa therfore if you had to move so many mil dots for ranging in the reticle you could just turn the adjustments that many mils instead of having to do the formula in your head for changing mils to moas. I'm just not certain when buying a scope how to tell that online

Most places online will have accurate specs of scopes.
Look for:
Reticle subtensions, if you want MOA look for that in the subtensions description.
Then look at turret adjustment type, which will say 1/10 Mil or 1/4 MOA. (usually) some scopes have 1/8" MOA adjustment among others.
Just look for the reticle and the turrets to match each other.
If it says 1/10 it is a Mil turret if it's 1/4 it's a MOA turret.

So whatever the adjustments say is what the turrets are? Just have to make sure the reticle matches it. I know how to tell what the reticle is. Just wanted to make sure when I was reading adjustments right for the turrets to match

So whatever the adjustments say is what the turrets are? Just have to make sure the reticle matches it. I know how to tell what the reticle is. Just wanted to make sure when I was reading adjustments right for the turrets to match

Yes, look for MOA adjustments if you want MOA.

J,

Most (decent) scopes made today will be mil/mil/ or MOA/MOA. I have an old Burris Black Diamond from the '90s that has MOA turrets and a mil dot reticle. MOA/mil, UGH!

My newest scopes are all mil/mil with First Focal Plane reticles that always read true regardless of what magnification power I am using. FFP does cost quite a bit more and some hunters don't feel it's necessary. Virtually ALL competition shooters insist on FFP reticles.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.