Newer Remington QC

rickdavis81

I'm wanting to jump on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon and can't decide on which rifle. I'd like to get a 700 5r gen 2 but am worried, I keep seeing post about their recent years quality issues. I've never handles a 5r but all the senderos I've handled recently had the barrels crooked in the stock channel. Are the 5r's any better? I'm not a fan of the tikka stocks. Bergara seems interesting and the ones I held seemed quality. Or my other option I considered is I have a savage action laying around. It's a long action but might help with seating longer bullets. Put it in a McMillan stock and aftermarket barrel. All my others I've done like that have been shooters. Probably going to top it off with a Burris XTR II.

I'm wanting to jump on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon and can't decide on which rifle. I'd like to get a 700 5r gen 2 but am worried, I keep seeing post about their recent years quality issues. I've never handles a 5r but all the senderos I've handled recently had the barrels crooked in the stock channel. Are the 5r's any better? I'm not a fan of the tikka stocks. Bergara seems interesting and the ones I held seemed quality. Or my other option I considered is I have a savage action laying around. It's a long action but might help with seating longer bullets. Put it in a McMillan stock and aftermarket barrel. All my others I've done like that have been shooters. Probably going to top it off with a Burris XTR II.
Most of that Remington QC stuff is just internet ********. Some of it is legit, some of it is people who know someone, who's brother knows someone, who's former roommate had a rifle that wouldn't shoot. See where I'm going with that? :rolleyes:

All of the 5R series rifles are not your typical Remington. They use actual real M24 and M40 barrels built for Remington by Schneider. So, it's basically a semi-custom 700 with a super high-quality aftermarket Schneider barrel on it. Don't be worried about buying one...It will shoot, especially with handloads.

And yes, the 5R rifles are superbly accurate (I have 2 of them, hoping to order a 3rd one very soon). They shoot with the best of them. I will, however, recommend immediately swapping out the crappy factory trigger for an aftermarket unit.

As for crooked barrels... There's a 99% chance most of those are just crooked stocks (barrel channel was cut crooked when it was made)...NOT the barrel-to-receiver fitment being off.

I saw a youtube video of a guy shooting a high-end Bergara the other day, and it was having firing pin issues when he was shooting it suppressed. Apparently after several shots, it got slightly dirty, and it would gum up from carbon, and cause light strikes with the firing pin. Didn't look promising to me, but that's just personal opinion.

Or my other option I considered is I have a savage action laying around. It's a long action but might help with seating longer bullets. Put it in a McMillan stock and aftermarket barrel. All my others I've done like that have been shooters. Probably going to top it off with a Burris XTR II.

I say go for it, no need to complicate things unnecessarily, you already have the action on hand and is the best DIY friendly action ... plus you already know its potential. If you want 5R barrel, you have a few options and you're not limited with the factory twist rate.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Never had an issue with a Remington. I think mostly it's a person gets a rifle and it doesn't shoot to their standards or they arnt shooting to its standards and blame it on the rifle. And then the manufacturer is to blame for the 1 bad rifle out of the millions of good ones.

Most issues can be solved with a good bedding job and a little trigger work. But every now and then it's a bad barrel. Even custom barrel makers spit out a bad barrel every now and then. It's gonna happen.

I had a Winchester model 70 300 wsm that shot like a scatter gun.

I say go for it, no need to complicate things unnecessarily, you already have the action on hand and is the best DIY friendly action ... plus you already know its potential. If you want 5R barrel, you have a few options and you're not limited with the factory twist rate.

Good luck!
Factory twist rate on the Remington 5R rifles in any 6.5mm cartridge is 1:8, so you're not limited there either.

Never had an issue with a Remington. I think mostly it's a person gets a rifle and it doesn't shoot to their standards or they arnt shooting to its standards and blame it on the rifle. And then the manufacturer is to blame for the 1 bad rifle out of the millions of good ones.

Most issues can be solved with a good bedding job and a little trigger work. But every now and then it's a bad barrel. Even custom barrel makers spit out a bad barrel every now and then. It's gonna happen.

I had a Winchester model 70 300 wsm that shot like a scatter gun.
Yep! I think it's mostly someone gets a rifle, and doesn't know how to shoot, and then gets embarrassed and blames the **** rifle for their own inabilities and shortcomings. OR, they jump up from a .308 to a .300 WM or something, and the recoil causes them to develop a flinch or target panic, and they don't even know the accuracy issues are caused by their own subconscious.

I've heard of some full-custom rifles having bad barrels put on them. My gunsmith said he's gotten several over the years. He tests it, and then tells them that all he can do is call the Mfg, and they'll send him a new one, and he puts the new one on, and 9 out of 10 times no more issues. Occasionally it needs bedding and some other work.

Last edited:
I haven't had any QC problems with the last couple of Remington rifles that I've bought. They were very accurate, as well.

Yep! I think it's mostly someone gets a rifle, and doesn't know how to shoot, and then gets embarrassed and blames the **** rifle for their own inabilities and shortcomings. OR, they jump up from a .308 to a .300 WM or something, and the recoil causes them to develop a flinch or target panic, and they don't even know the accuracy issues are caused by their own subconscious.

I've heard of some full-custom rifles having bad barrels put on them. My gunsmith said he's gotten several over the years. He tests it, and then tells them that all he can do is call the Mfg, and they'll send him a new one, and he puts the new one on, and 9 out of 10 times no more issues. Occasionally it needs bedding and some other work.

We've seen a few bad Remington rifles over the years, but most of what I've had will do at least moa with little difficulty. I did have one lh lss remmy in 7rum that wouldn't do better than 2 moa and usually 3. It also had a fat chamber and actually split 2 sets of fl reloading dies. Remington refused to admit their barrel was crap, so down the road it went.

We've seen a few bad Remington rifles over the years, but most of what I've had will do at least moa with little difficulty. I did have one lh lss remmy in 7rum that wouldn't do better than 2 moa and usually 3. It also had a fat chamber and actually split 2 sets of fl reloading dies. Remington refused to admit their barrel was crap, so down the road it went.
It happens. Hell, Weatherby refused to fix my $2000 Accumark that had a factory defective barrel, that went south around 75-100 rounds, and their cop-out excuse was "Sorry, it worked fine when it left here..." :rolleyes:

I've even had a bad Remington before... Late-90's (1997-1998) 700 in .338 WinMag, that I bought used from a random dude in the local classifieds. So I have no idea the life it had prior to my owning it. But either way, it wouldn't shoot the broad side of a barn. So, it now lives its life as a whole new rifle... Blueprinted with new everything else attached to it. It now lives as my "sendero clone" chambered in .300 Ackley. :cool:

That's the awesome thing about 700's, if it don't work, rebuild it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.