Newby

Dbull84

New to the forum and long range shooting. Just wanted some opinions on the setup I purchased. I just purchased a rem700 varmint sf in 308 . I am topping it with a nikon 5-20x44sf scope with egw scope base with Burris xtr scope rings. I know it's prob not the best but its a start. Thanks for the input.

New to the forum and long range shooting. Just wanted some opinions on the setup I purchased. I just purchased a rem700 varmint sf in 308 . I am topping it with a nikon 5-20x44sf scope with egw scope base with Burris xtr scope rings. I know it's prob not the best but its a start. Thanks for the input.
Before you burn up a bunch of ammo have a good free float, bedding and pillars installed.

It'll save you a lot of aggravation in the future.

No it's not a 3,500.00 custom setup with a 2,400.00 scope on it but it's damned sure a great start.

Enjoy.

No need to apologize for your schit. The stock is probably your weakest link, but easy to replace.

Shoot the **** out of it, trigger time is your friend. Once heard a fella say that any Joe could walk out of WalMart with better gear than Carlos Hathcock ever had.

Food for thought.....

No need to apologize for your schit. The stock is probably your weakest link, but easy to replace.

Shoot the **** out of it, trigger time is your friend. Once heard a fella say that any Joe could walk out of WalMart with better gear than Carlos Hathcock ever had.

Food for thought.....
There's a hell of a lot of truth in that.. . at least what he started with.

New to the forum and glad I found it. My intent is to get into some bench rest long range shooting. The club I belong to only goes out to 200 yards but I am sure there are some clubs here in Minnesota that go out farther.
Some interesting information here.
Dan

Update. Got scope mounted on gun went to sight in and ran out of adj on wind age and elevation. So sending scope back and replacing with vortex viper 6.5-20x50mm.

Definitely some great information can be had here N. I would be surprised if the problem was with the scope, more often, as already suggested, it is the way the scope is mounted. Dovetail, base,rings? Either way, I hope you achieve the results you are looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.