Newbies new long range setup?

gunners

I'm getting ready to buy a setup, I'm selling 3 rifles to fund it and already sold 1 of them. Thinking on getting a Savage LRH in 6.5-284 with a Vortex 6-24 PST. The thing I would like though is a DBM which it doesn't have. Apart from the looks I believe this would be a good basic start. Should I think of trying to do a custom for less than $3K total package cost remembering I'm in Australia. Or I could AI a 260 Rem in a Tikka varmint which is cheaper with a 24 inch barrel but I don't know how far out you can seat the heavy 140gr bullets in the magazine. Ranges would be less than a 1000 yards probably more like 600 max initially ( which is how far my rangefinder can range animals), targets would mainly be pigs. Don't really wan't to do a magnum, cause somtimes you can do a lot of shooting 2-3 boxes and I think a magnum would beat me up to much. Not a big fan of newer Remingtons as I'm having feeding issues with the newer ones. My Rugers always go bang but not accurate enough for the extended range. Basically if you had $2k USD what would you do/get?

I think your idea sounds pretty good. As for the magazine question id reccomend
you visit the Savage Shooters Forum. You just might end up building the whole thing
yourself.

I think you will be very pleased with the Savage LRH they are a bit ugly but they shoot there is a fella on here that goes by Greyfox ,and he shoots his out to 1000yards ,and has some really great load data for them ( he also gets crazy accuracy from it) plus you have the break that can be turned on or off. If you are planning on shooting long heavy bullets then a detachable magazine may not work for you as seating bullets to long enough can be an issue with factory rifles I had that with my Cooper could not seat bullets out far enough for accuracy to fit in magazine unless I went to a hybrid bullet.

Do you think I could get the Tikka in 6.5x55 Swede and rechamber it to 6.5-284, the swede is in the long action and the 284 body is only 0.023 bigger so should still work through the magazine. Is their something I'm missing?

Based on my experience with Tikkas, I would stick with the Savage. I have owned a 300WSM Savage LRH and it was definitely a shooter.

Like mentioned before, they might not be too 'purdy', but they are one of the best out of the box guns where accuracy can be expected rather than hoped for.

The one with the laminated stock is a 6.5/284, the one with the painted stock is 280 Ackley. Pros built the first for me, I built the second for just over 2k as you see it.

Attachments

• first shots savage 025.jpg
    first shots savage 025.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Completion! 001.JPG
    Completion! 001.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 105
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.