Newbie Reticle Question

Just a thought but a class like mentioned above will help a lot. Also if you got some functional cheap scope like arken/athlon to practice with you will soon learn what functions you like or don't then just resale it.

Newbie reticle question. I am an old fart and have only used the standard duplex reticle. I am starting to shoot beyond 200 yards with most of my guns. I have a Christiansen Arms 300 RUM I love reloading for and shooting. I have opportunities to shoot game out 500 yards and would like to upgrade my scope. Some of the guys in camp have scopes they had the manufacture program scope for gun/caliber and they just click to range and shoot. Some of these guys have had issues with the program. But I would prefer to just aim and shoot with hold over and use the B&C (Leupold) or BRH (Swarovski). I am looking at scopes that are around 3k so don't want to be stuck with something I don't like or doesn't work. So click vs. holdover is the question. Is this the correct question? I just want to keep it simple
I have the B&C reticle and have the holdover to 600Y. If you have access to the scopes you are looking for, it is best to personally look through them.

OP- I honestly believe you're over thinking the reticle style question. I would strongly advise against a BDC style reticle.

Why, you ask? Because even if you are dedicated to holdover (i've never NOT had time to dial), a graduated reticle (MIL or MOA) will do exactly the same thing, just a whole lot better.

Take for instance, the Burris SCR MOA reticle pictured below (Variations offered my almost every manufacturer):

SCR MOA Reticle.JPG

The vertical graduations are exactly 1MOA apart; instead of the "One size fits none" you'll find in a BDC style.

If your ballistic calculator calls for 7MOA @ whatever range you're shooting at, hold on the 7MOA mark and squeeze. Same as a BDC, just a LOT more to work with & no guessing.

Or, as my preference, you dial up the needed 7MOA & utilize the horizontal hash marks for the required windage.

I've moved pretty much exclusively to FFP, but in hunting situations, there is nothing wrong with SFP. Just make sure you know the difference before spending good money on an optic.

t

I use a mil based reticle on my scopes when I can, but moa is perfectly fine too. And I mostly dial but have used my reticle for holdovers when I didn't have time to dial. I keep a cheat sheet with my drops on my stock. When my eyes were better I also had one inside my eye objective scope cover for fast holdovers. I ran JBM's ballistics calculator for a 215 Hybrid going 2950 fps. Pretty easy drops to memorize, maybe try one for your loads. Good luck. BTW taking a class is a good investment.

Sweetroels,

I'm hearing you want something simple.
And there are many shooters out there that would say that.

However, I'm also hearing that you're ready to plunk down 3 grand on a scope. Not everybody can. Congrats. 👍🏼

Now, there is a big difference between:
• a BDC reticle and a true holdoff reticle (with evenly spaced hashlines or dots)
• using the reticle to adjust for elevation and using the turret to adjust for it
• a first focal plane scope and a second focal plane scope
• a capped turret, a tactical turret (with mil or moa numbers), and a cartridge-specific turret

➔ But without knowing and having experienced these differences deciding what scope to buy will likely end up getting the wrong thing — and not even knowing it.... 😉

🔶 If you spent 1 grand less on the scope, you'd still be getting a great scope.
AND you could invest that into a class or course, or even an instructor at your local range to experience the differences between these.

➔ If you do, I believe you might enjoy shooting so much more having learned something useful.
➔ You will buy the scope that will be just right for you.
➔ And you will put yourself on a trajectory of personal growth as a shooter.

The fear of the new is often the biggest obstacle to our growth.

Matthias

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice. Obviously I have some reading to do but think I have a bead on what to do when upgrading my scopes. I reload and shoot 6 calibers but primarily hunt with 7-08, 30-06 and 300 RUM. Effective range for 7-08 and 30-06 is essentially the same considering the bullet weight and velocities I achieve. 300 for the big stuff and 500 for the Eastern NC deer. So a BRH/B&C reticle would be fine with 50 objective and 12-18 zoom (I am old). I generally kill deer 100-350 yards, rarely beyond that. For the 300 RUM I'll go with the dial option but need to do much more research before I buy. I want to be proficient 500 - 700 yards for some of the western game. I may go to a class before I buy also. Thanks again, good forum, glad I joined. I'll post purchases and results next year