Newbie reloading suggestions!

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Punisher0822, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Punisher0822

Punisher0822 New Member

Newbie here! I’m wanting to get into the reloading game. I’ve read a lot of good things about the RCBS Rock Chucker kit. Can anyone make any suggestions on additions I need aside from the kit that will help me? I’m going into this totally blind. Thank you.

2. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member

Case trimmer
    Stuck case remover
    Chronograph.

xsn10s, IDelkhunter and DCAN like this.
  3. DCAN

DCAN Well-Known Member

Purchase the book, " Top Grade Ammo" by Glen D. Zediker. Do what he says to do. You won't be wrong. It will save you a ton of money and mental grief.

Wlfdg likes this.
  4. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

This kit is a nice start, but avoid the kit with the electronic scale. The beam scale will serve you well. No kit has everything, you will need a few more tools. You'll also find yourself buying more reloading tools as you learn the finer points of reloading. Good luck

.gacton and just country like this.
  5. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

Hornady OAL gauge + their bullet and case comparators for your calibers.

6. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

You are going to get numerous different opinions on which way to go. I started off with a kit and used it for about 1 week before upgrading all but the press. Are you going to be doing volume reloading? Be honest with yourself. What is your budget? I would recommend buying a Rock Chucker, Chargemaster lite, and a Priming tool and add as you go. A RCBS Case Master is nice but the hand tools will work. I shoot a lot and the hand tools just add too much time for me. If my suggestion is outside of your budget the kit will work but it will be relatively slow.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    dok7mm likes this.
  7. CJS-6.5

CJS-6.5 Member

This. And pick up a hand primer. And a electric powder measure. And and and...

claybreaker likes this.
  8. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

You really do have to be honest with yourself about how much you load. I have several single stage presses and a Hornady Progressive that was a present. The things I still use are the presses of course, dial calipers, mic, digital scale RCBS trimmer, going to add a three way head, VLD chamfer tool, concentricity gauge, RCBS hand prime tool, primer pocket cleaner, primer pocket uniformer, and flash hole deburring tool. A beam scale for back up. So a kit is a good thing to get because most of the essentials are there. but you'll likely change things to suit your needs as you go. No biggie, if you like to shoot you'll add stuff as you can.

9. DCAN

DCAN Well-Known Member

21st Century Reloading's hand primer is hands down (sorry) the finest and most accurate reloading tool I have used in a long time. Once you get used the process, it's just as fast as any of the others. Come to think of it, every tool I have purchased from 21st Cent. has outperformed their claims. Their stuff is not garage sale cheap. But, at twice the price, I'd still be a customer.

10. manitou

manitou Well-Known Member

Reloading manuals!!! Hornady, Speer, Lee, Nosler etc.
    You will need at least one, preferably the manufacturer of the bullets you shoot. Most have reloading instruction within, but most important is they give you your load data.
    I like the Nosler and Hornady manuals, but have many.

claybreaker and xsn10s like this.
  11. DCAN

DCAN Well-Known Member

Great point! Still have my first Hodgdon's manual from 1974. Yup, there is dirt in my yard which is younger than me.

12. LukeMc

LukeMc Member

I bought a used rcbs from a local gun shop then then … after I noticed a lee reloading kit with all the basics for about 1/2 what I paid. Just a thought if money is an issue.

13. kiwikid

kiwikid Well-Known Member

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a book to record all your loads in. It is also good to have enough room in the book to note how those loads shot, velocity etc. Good luck with your reloading and be safe.

14. okie man

okie man Well-Known Member

Tumbler and a multi function case prep machine! I like my Lyman machine very much

Dosh likes this.