Newbie reloading suggestions!

Punisher0822

Newbie here! I'm wanting to get into the reloading game. I've read a lot of good things about the RCBS Rock Chucker kit. Can anyone make any suggestions on additions I need aside from the kit that will help me? I'm going into this totally blind. Thank you.

Purchase the book, " Top Grade Ammo" by Glen D. Zediker. Do what he says to do. You won't be wrong. It will save you a ton of money and mental grief.

Newbie here! I'm wanting to get into the reloading game. I've read a lot of good things about the RCBS Rock Chucker kit. Can anyone make any suggestions on additions I need aside from the kit that will help me? I'm going into this totally blind. Thank you.

This kit is a nice start, but avoid the kit with the electronic scale. The beam scale will serve you well. No kit has everything, you will need a few more tools. You'll also find yourself buying more reloading tools as you learn the finer points of reloading. Good luck

You are going to get numerous different opinions on which way to go. I started off with a kit and used it for about 1 week before upgrading all but the press. Are you going to be doing volume reloading? Be honest with yourself. What is your budget? I would recommend buying a Rock Chucker, Chargemaster lite, and a Priming tool and add as you go. A RCBS Case Master is nice but the hand tools will work. I shoot a lot and the hand tools just add too much time for me. If my suggestion is outside of your budget the kit will work but it will be relatively slow.

Last edited:
You really do have to be honest with yourself about how much you load. I have several single stage presses and a Hornady Progressive that was a present. The things I still use are the presses of course, dial calipers, mic, digital scale RCBS trimmer, going to add a three way head, VLD chamfer tool, concentricity gauge, RCBS hand prime tool, primer pocket cleaner, primer pocket uniformer, and flash hole deburring tool. A beam scale for back up. So a kit is a good thing to get because most of the essentials are there. but you'll likely change things to suit your needs as you go. No biggie, if you like to shoot you'll add stuff as you can.

21st Century Reloading's hand primer is hands down (sorry) the finest and most accurate reloading tool I have used in a long time. Once you get used the process, it's just as fast as any of the others. Come to think of it, every tool I have purchased from 21st Cent. has outperformed their claims. Their stuff is not garage sale cheap. But, at twice the price, I'd still be a customer.

Reloading manuals!!! Hornady, Speer, Lee, Nosler etc.
You will need at least one, preferably the manufacturer of the bullets you shoot. Most have reloading instruction within, but most important is they give you your load data.
I like the Nosler and Hornady manuals, but have many.

Reloading manuals!!! Hornady, Speer, Lee, Nosler etc.
You will need at least one, preferably the manufacturer of the bullets you shoot. Most have reloading instruction within, but most important is they give you your load data.
I like the Nosler and Hornady manuals, but have many.
Great point! Still have my first Hodgdon's manual from 1974. Yup, there is dirt in my yard which is younger than me.

I bought a used rcbs from a local gun shop then then … after I noticed a lee reloading kit with all the basics for about 1/2 what I paid. Just a thought if money is an issue.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a book to record all your loads in. It is also good to have enough room in the book to note how those loads shot, velocity etc. Good luck with your reloading and be safe.

Tumbler and a multi function case prep machine! I like my Lyman machine very much

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.