Newbie Reloader, headspace question

Thanks a lot you guys, I really appreciate all the helpful knowledge on here.

I ended up taking my Hornady comparator and running some leftover factory Hornady rounds through it, the same type of cartridge the brass came from. Turns out all of those 30 cases I ran through the sizing die twice are basically right in spec with the factory ammo as far as headspace measurement goes. Go figure! It made me feel better about them being safe to load and fire.

However now I'm still puzzled. Before I realized those original 30 cases would be okay, I setup my RCBS FL sizing die just per their exact recommendation in the manual- down to the shell holder, plus 1/8-1/4 deeper, and sized 40 more cases. What I'm finding is that they actually don't chamber that well in my rifle. I removed my firing pin, and chambered a bunch to get a feel, with most having slight and some having a fair amount of resistance when closing the bolt. I would have assumed if the die was setup per their instruction, these would have resized down essentially to easily chamber? I do understand good case lube practice, and even consistency in the press stroke can be at place, but I feel as though I do things pretty consistently. I did recently read you shouldn't lube the case shoulders which I had been doing, so maybe that has something to do with it? Curious on what you guys think.

Thanks again for all your help
You are correct you do not lube the shoulders excessive lube in that area will actually dent your brass but some thing that's not always mentioned is dwell time when the handle is all the way down your ram is all the way at the highest point just hold that position for a couple seconds before you release I have found it gives me slightly better consistency

You are correct you do not lube the shoulders excessive lube in that area will actually dent your brass but some thing that's not always mentioned is dwell time when the handle is all the way down your ram is all the way at the highest point just hold that position for a couple seconds before you release I have found it gives me slightly better consistency
Agreed on the dwell time. I make sure that I do not rush the down-stroke. I like to linger at "full press" for a moment to let it all settle in.

I was counseled in the old days, to give the case a 90-degree rotation after the first sizing then full-length size again. I did help one long gun but seemed to have little or no effect on others.
I've done this and it absolutely reduces run out and improves concentricity. I don't know if I'm getting more run out because the die is reducing neck diameter .010 before the body of the case is held by the die but the second pass straightened all of it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.