Newbie questions

spoolhead1

Very new to long range hunting and have a few questions I would like to get some opinions from some of the experienced experts on here. First this will be a father/son project. I am looking to build a 1000 yard rifle for steel and deer. Money is an issue so I am looking at a savage action so I can install and headspace the new barrel myself. Are all savage long actions the same or is there a magnum action? I know the bolt face can be changed quite easily. I will probably go with 300 RUM in a 28" or 30" heavy contour(bull) and a brake. Should the twist be a 9 for heavier bullets? I am thinking a 250 grain bullet or so? What about McGowen barrels? I have yet to see a complaint. Or is there a better barrel for about the same money? I also want a decent stock that I can bed myself without breaking the bank. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated such as different calibers, scopes barrel mfg.s, etc. I appreciate you guys taking time to help answer a few questions to get me started on this project. I know it will be a long process but we need to start somewhere.

Thanks,
Spool

I built one off of a Savage. Let me give you some advice. I know others will poo poo it, but we found it's a solid rig. My cousin built a 338 Lapua Mag on the Target action Savage. It is a SINGLE feed only. It will eject a fired casing, but you will have to pull the bolt to get a loaded round out. IF... you are wanting a long range rig, single feeding is not that big of an issue. The reason I make this advise is due the the trigger being able to be adjusted lighter (6oz-1.5#), and the action is very sturdy (more material due to ejection port design and no magazine).

My cousins rifle has a 32" Douglas with a taper to .900" It is a small shank, but due to the length the gunsmith that put his barrel on, put it on like any other action. The 28 and 30 will work fine with a barrel nut. If you want it to be a repeater, then you will definitely have to go with the a normal long action. They only make one action longer and that is for the new Lapua mag models they have. As far as I know, they are not selling the Lapua actions as a singular action.

Another option would be to get the Stevens 200 LA and build off of that. It will be a little cheaper. You can buy any aftermarket Savage trigger assembly and install it on the Stevens. The problem you are going to run into with any LA is using VLD style bullets due to their length and seating depth. If you get lucky and find a deeper seating depth of .050-.120" for accuracy any long action should work. But most like to be seated .010-.020" off the lands. So single feeding an action could be a reality w/o going to a custom action built for longer rounds with longer bullets. I could be wrong. I know guys are building them in repeaters.

I like Lothar Walther barrels. They use a harder Stainless Steel (550SS) than here in the states (416SS). It took a little longer to break in, but right now I am holding .25MOA to 800yds with a .308 Win. I have around 800 rounds through this barrel right now. A 1:9 would be good if you want to shoot the 240's, but with Berger's new 230 and 215 grain bullet, the 240 is really not needed. With the speed you can push the 208 A-max and 210 Berger with a RUM, a 1:10 would be perfect. 1:10 will also be able to handle the 215 and 230. You never know, your barrel may handle the 240's also due to the speed.

I suggest going with one of the money saver stocks from Stockade stocks. He has many different styles that will work with you rifle. They don't require a whole lot of finishing work when you get them. I was rather impressed with my cousins. I am kicking myself for not getting one when I had the chance.

You'll want a different recoil lug. Get an SSS pinned recoil lug from brownell's. They are sturdier and thicker than the stamped one that comes with the rifle. EGW 20MOA base is very economical and a good base. I like mine a lot. You might want to look at Burris XTR rings. I have the Weaver Tactical, but not sure how they would handle the heavier magnums. The XTR's will do great.

Tank

Thanks Tank,

This is the kind of information I need. Single feed is not a problem. I assumed I could probably find a used savage 110 or stevens 200 and just remove the barrel cheaper than buying just the action. I will definately look into the Lothar Walther barrels, I just hear alot about Shilen, Douglas, Hart and not alot about Lothar Walther or McGowen. What number corrisponds with a heavy, little or no taper barrel, #8 or #9? I wanted to stay with a barrel length I could use the barrel nut and headspace myself. I also want a brake installed. Weight will not be an issue, where we will be hunting with this rifle it will be easy to set up and sit tight.
Still open to others suggestions and comments as all are really appreciated.

Thanks,
Spool

If you go to the Lothar site, they have dimensions listed on their site corresponding to their barrel dimensions you are interested in. Most barrel makers have dimensions listed. If you have any questions, all you do is call. Hart, Shilen, Douglas, McGowen, Lilja, Brux, Broughton, and many others are good barrels. Lothar Walther was suggested to me by a guy that built 2 Savage rifles for he and his wife. Both have won several F-class matches over the past couple years. So that tells me they are accurate. And believe me, they are. My barrel shoots really well. You want to look for a Varmint taper, or you can get a custom taper.

30" is long enough for most calibers. Most any manufacturer will make a barrel that you can put on your self. When you order, you have to make sure it is a large shank or small shank. All the SA are small shank to include all the 30-06 based cartridges. All the magnum calibers are large shank. You can also tell by measuring the width of the barrel nut. Small shank have a 5/8" wide barrel nut. I forget what the long action is. Some of the target actions are large shank. Make sure you find out before you buy your barrel.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.