Newbie Question

NikK

Hi guys how are you all ?

First of all Happy New Year to all of you, i hope 2011 will be better than 2010 in every aspect....Now like the title says i am new to Air Rifles and so i am here to ask for your opinion.

I don't want to spend a fortune on an air rifle (no more than 250-300euro) so i decided to get one of the following models :

BSA Tactical XL
GAMO Whisper-X Vampir
Cometa Fusion Black
GAMO SOCOM 1200

Now from what i hear all 4 have projectile speeds of over 300m/s but other than that i dont know what to look for. I wonder whats their effective range but thats something no company lists. Also i prefer spring models because they seem more realistic due to recoil and since i was in the army this is good. However if any of you have any reason as to why i should prefer CO2 or something else feel free to recommend models.

Thanks in advance :)

PS : Since i live in Greece brands like Beeman which are hard to find are not a valid option for me.

PS : If this section is for real guns only then please move this to the airguns section, if any..........Thanks :)

Last edited:
The recoil is opposite of a powder gun. I had a friend with a gamo 10 years ago that
would outshoot my high dollar beeman.

Well theres also a matter of power since from what i see spring rifles have more....And then theres a matter of ease since spring rifles dont need to change nothing, they just fire until the spring fails.

You will be very happy with a Gamo rifle. The whisper does not live up to what it was designed for very well. My dad has one and it is not much quieter than my SOCOM.

Very accurate and very deadly with the new Red Fire balistic tip pellets.

The Gamo rifles are awesome. I have 2 of them and they are both very accurate. I have killed doves, squirrels and a few opposums. You can go to their website or Youtube and watch videos of the rifles being used to kill pigs.

So between the GAMO Whisper-X Vampir and the BSA XL Tactical which would you guys prefer ?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.