Newbie question on powder measurement

Mcarso1

new into reloading and buying equipment basically to do rifle cartridges and reading reviews I am not sure best route to go for most accurate powder measuring device? Need help

First you have to decide if you want balance beam or electronic, or both. I have multiple beam and electronic, but find myself using the Gempro 250 more often than the others.

You will need a scale of some type. I've used the 'balance beam', and now use an electronic scale. If reloading more than a handful of rounds, like after testing, I set up my RCBS powder measure to 'drop' the desired charge weight of powder. Once it is set I go ahead and check the powder charges once in a while.

I do the same for handgun, but with a measure set up for the light handgun powder charges. There are a good number of powder measures to look over, simple to more costly.

I use a RCBS M500 balance scale. I drop a charge of powder at .5gr under the charge weight then use a powder trickler to bring it up as close to perfect as I can. It's a little time consuming but I feel it gets me good handloads.

Both and pros and cons. Beams are very dependable, nothing to short out or go bad internally, can be taken anywhere with you (like the range). But, in my opinion they are slower to use and wait for it to balance out to make sure the charge is correct, etc. I like the speed and ease of use of a digital scale myself. They have their own quirks of course, but it what I prefer. I do have both on my bench though and both see use from time to time, even if its just to compare one to another as a check.

If you go electric, look into the RCBS unit. I think you can buy and link up a dispenser later. I eventually just bought a complete Chargemaster. $300 full price but I feel it's worth it if you're doing multiple calibers or different powders. You can set it to automatic dispense after the pan is put back. This makes loading for rifles quick and easy. I start with all my primed cases; dispense powder, put into a case and seat the bullet. By the time I grab the next case there's powder waiting for me to do the next one.

I seen Cabela's has a hornady kit going on sale tomorrow 15% off with the electronic scale/dispenser? Can probably buy a pendulum to use as a checker pretty cheap? Kits worth it ?

I started with the basic RCBS 5-0-5 unit and just in the past few years moved over to the RCBS Chargemaster. I'll check the throw with the 5-0-5 for two or three throws then run with it.
I'm loading for a dozen different cartridges in about 8 different calibers and too many different powders. The chargemaster makes things quicker and is close enough for the hunting rifles I'm loading for.

Yes I am thinking for myself doing one caliber at a time I may just go with the basics instead of the electronic scale/dispenser. See what's there when I get to Cabela's tonight.

RCBS chargmaster has been spot-on for me. I leave it turned on 24-7 and calibrate it before each loading session. I always set it for 0.1gr less than the target load and draw out single kernel from the tube until it reaches target (normally 2-4 kernels and only takes a few seconds). Has never been anything less than perfectly equal to the beam scale. If you let it stop on your desired load it will be close but normally a little over by 1-3 kernels. Like was mentioned earlier that may be close enough.

Yes I am thinking for myself doing one caliber at a time I may just go with the basics instead of the electronic scale/dispenser. See what's there when I get to Cabela's tonight.

If you go with a beam scale make sure you get a powder trickler

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.