Newbie question on Matchkings

Darryl Cassel

Kev

The jackets on the MK are thicker then most any Match style bullet and some so called hunting bullets.

They work a bit in reverse of what you think.

Depending on the bullet placement, they will hold together and not expand greatly at real high velocity unless hitting bone. As the bullet slows down it expands in a controlled fashion, quite well. I have heard of them going through game at close range and high velocity and not expanding hardly at all.

This is not what I have found though. Every shot with a MK even at 100 yards with my 280 and 168 Gr 7mm bullets the exit hole was huge. I'm not just talking one or two deer either.
On elk, the 300 Gr 338 MK will expand perfectly from 750 yards on out to 2100 yards. These are the ranges we have killed them. Only recovered two bullets from at least 20 elk and they were mushroomed perfectly. The recovered bullets came from two elk killed at 1250 yards and 1450 yards.

You might like them if you try them.
Later
DC

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

I gather that the Matchkings are what you guys recommend for LR hunting. Never seen one up close, but from Sierra's website they look to be jacketed hollow points.
Which brings me to my questions: how do these things expand in game? They *look*, to this newbie at least, not to be designed with expansion in mind? Do you need extreme velocities to make them expand right?
Thanks!

Kev

Guess I am somewhat of a skeptic, but I am not used to any of the concepts on this site
smile.gif

Was a bit worried that the MKs didn't expand--which would make them illegal for hunting here--but that the sheer energy of the rifles you guys use meant they didn't need to, either
smile.gif

Will try them, and see what they do in wet phone books before anything else.

Thanks a lot!

Kev

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.